Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The constant beeping rung loudly in my ears as I finally felt the weight of the world slowly lift off of me enough to open my eyes. My lungs felt on fire and my legs ached. Was I dead? I asked myself while staring down at my palms that had turned a bright shade of red.

The room that I was currently in was all white. White wallpaper, white tiled floors, white blankets, and a white sitting area to my right with a tall man sleeping there, dressed in all black. As if feeling my gaze on his back, the being turned over facing me with eyes as blue as the sky staring back at me. He quietly sat up on the chair while gazing at me.

"How do you feel?" He questioned, his voice deep and smooth as I ignored him while grabbing onto the railings on the side of the bed. Quietly attempting to sit up, I mustered all the strength I could get before falling back down onto the pillow. My body was too weak to move on its own and I hated that. I hated feeling weak. "If you wanted to sit up, all you had to do was ask." The same man stated while appearing at my side before playing with a remote as the head of the bed slowly eased forward, putting me in a sitting position. "Are you thirsty?" He asked while staring down at me as I nodded stiffly. What if the goons had found me again? What if all of this is a part of their plan to take me back to that hell?

Calm down. I don't sense any of those hunters around here. You should be thankful. We're on sacred ground now. The voice of my wolf stated as the guy held a straw to my mouth while I greedily drank down the contents of the bottle before hissing in pain.

"You need to drink slowly. Your body is still healing from your injuries." He stated as I looked up at him before glancing back down at the bottle. The clear substance of it looked and smelled good. Taking the straw back in my mouth, I continued to drink but this time slower than before. "There you go. Now, do you remember your name?" He asked once I had finished the bottle as I gave him a silent nod. "That's good. What is your name?" He added as I stared at him silently while contemplating on my answer.

"Rose." I quietly mumbled as he stared at me in astonishment. Why was he making such an odd face? Do people usually make those types of faces?

"Rose? Your name is Rose?" He asked as I nodded before he smiled at me. "Are you in pain?" He asked on as I nodded before he ran out of the room. It didn't take him long before he ran back in with a doctor who looked from him to me. "She's awake. Run your tests and get the hell out." He growled as the elderly man looked up at him while nodding.

"Yes, Beta." He stated while taking my vitals and listening to my heartbeat. "The Beta has told me that you're in pain. Where does it hurt the most?" The doctor asked while staring at me as I touch my ribcage, my stomach, and my legs. Nodding, he quietly pulled the blanket away from me as I stared down at the oversized shirt quilting my body. "I'm going to unwrap this now. Please don't attack me, Beta." The doctor stated firmly as I looked over towards the guy whose face had darkened. Quickly turning back towards the doctor, I watched as he carefully unwrapped my leg before revealing the wound. "I've removed the bullets so you should be healing soon but when was the last time you ate? Do you remember?" He asked while tossing away the bloody dressing before pulling up a stool.

"No. Its been awhile since I've eaten." I quietly stated as the doctor nodded at me before standing up. I watched as he handed a fresh set of dressing and something else to his Beta before turning his attention back to me.

"I'll go get you some medicine and food while the Beta redresses your wounds. You'll be brand new after a few weeks, but we'll keep you here so we can monitor your body's reaction to your treatments. If you'll excuse me, I'll be right back." He stated while bowing to us before disappearing out the door. As soon as the doctor had left, the Beta took a seat on the stool while opening the bottle that the doctor gave him. Without any warning, he poured whatever was in that bottle onto my stitched up wound as I hissed in pain.

"Sorry." He muttered as he quietly dried up the substance with some tissue before wrapping it with the dressing. "Rose, I'm Damien Knight." He stated as I looked up at him with curiosity in my eyes. Why would he choose now to introduce himself? "Do you know who I am?" He asked on as his eyes darkened to a royal blue while I shook my head in confusion before he sighed. "Good." Was all he said before he stood up and walked out. Shortly after he left, a female nurse came in and fed me chicken broth because the doctor told her that I wasn't ready for solid foods.

How old did these people think I was? I wasn't some cub fresh out of the oven. I was a fucking twenty five year old woman! I growled to myself while sighing. After the nurse gave me my medication, she walked out of the room with a wave. Sighing, I rubbed my stomach, feeling content for the first time. I didn't really know how long I had been locked away for, but I knew that once I was all healed up, I'd leave this place and look for my family if they were still alive. Leaning back on the mattress, I took one last glance around the room before closing my eyes as sleep pulled me into its depths. No more pain.

~~~

The fires rose up, eating away at the ceiling of our house. A place that was built up by my father before we were born.

The flames licked along the wallpaper, peeling it and burning as much as it could. The screams could be heard loud and clear, even if their voices mingled in with those who were burning alive, trapped inside their houses. I could feel their pain, their agony. It was biting away at my strength. I couldn't save them all, but I tried.

I promise you I did.

~~~

"Wake up, Rose! Wake up!" The familiar voice shouted as I quickly opened my eyes while holding my chest as the once soothing beeping was now picking up speed. "Rose, calm down. Look at me!" He shouted as the tears kept coming before he forced me to look into those clear blue eyes. "You're safe. Breathe with me. In and out." He stated firmly while showing me as I mimicked his breathing. "That a girl. You're safe now." He whispered while rubbing down the strands of my dirty hair.