Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Ahh, before we head off to my apartment, I should show you where the mailboxes are." Dahlia stated while looking back at me. "Follow me." She added while walking toward the north wing as I followed behind her slowly. "Every hallway houses something. The hall leading to the north wing houses the mailboxes and the swimming pool." She informed as we now stood in the huge hallway with two glass doors on our left and right while a huge wooden door occupied the north wall. "This door here, on our left, will take you to the mailboxes. Be wary of the lunch rush and the six o'clock traffic. You don't want to be here when they come. It gets very crowded and very hot quickly. Our post person comes an hour or two before lunch rush because it takes awhile to put up all of the mail." She informed me while opening the door before we stepped inside. There were rows and rows of mailboxes that lined each individual wall like bookshelves in a library.

"Is there only one mail person for all of this? How can they get all of that done within an hour at most? Don't they ever get tired or exhausted?" I questioned while staring up at the rows as Dahlia hummed before shaking her head.

"There's only one mail person and he's pretty quick with his job when he's not being lazy. He doesn't really get tired as he loves his job. Mages have the ability to do as they please with their powers whether if it's to heal, kill or deliver mail." She stated with a shrug before checking the clock on the nearby wall. "Our mailboxes would be over here. You're apartment 0220, so your mailbox would be 220B. It's right next to mine. We're lucky that it's not at the other end of this aisle." She added with a smile while unlocking a dark blue mailbox before grabbing the contents and locking it back up. "Alright, let's head out. The crowd will be coming soon. I'll show you the pool another time." She informed as we walked out of the mailroom before heading down the east wing. "Would you prefer my apartment or yours?" She asked as I quietly pursed my lips together.

"We could go to yours first. I want to hear about the history of this land." I stated as she nodded before stopping in front of a door with 0219 on it. Quietly unlocking it, I almost missed the rustling from the other side of her door. "Is there someone in your apartment, Dahlia?" I whispered before she looked at me oddly while pushing open the door as something came bounding towards us. Out of the darkness of her apartment came a giant dog.

"Oh! You must've heard Gabe coming to greet us." She stated while scratching the giant dog as it gave me a cautious sniff before licking my hand. "Gabe likes you! He usually doesn't take to new people. Gabe, this is Rose. She's our new neighbor starting today." Dahlia presented as the big dog looked from her to me. "Gabe is the guardian of my apartment." She laughed as Gabe hit her with his tail. "Sorry, sorry. Gabe is a Great Pyrenees who I've raised since he was a puppy. He's also my partner as I'm a hunter." She stated as I frowned at her. "Oh no no. I'm not that type of hunter. I'll explain when we're inside." She added while gently pushing Gabe back into the apartment as I followed. Her penthouse looked amazing. Light wooden floors, cream colored walls that were higher than the doorway, a kitchenette off to the side; she even had a balcony connected to her living room. "Make yourself comfortable while I get us some snacks. Is there anything you'd like to drink?" She asked as I sat down on the white l-shaped sofa.

"Water will be fine. What did you mean when you said that you were a hunter?" I questioned as Gabe slowly eased over to me before nudging my hand with his wet nose.

"I'm a part of the group that goes out hunting for food. Whether it be rabbits, boars, bears, and that type of stuff. We do receive and export with other species outside of our territory but it's still nice to have a few groups of hunters. Each group is a mixture of different species, much to their advantage. Since I'm a fae, I lead my group since I can cover higher ground." She stated while putting a pitcher down on the coffee table before passing me a glass of cold water.

"Thank you, but I'm curious. Why would this place be called the Sacred Land of the Wolves when there's more than just wolves here?" I inquired while taking a sip as Dahlia sat down next to me.

"The Moon Goddess had created this land for the wolves that were made with special abilities. Not all of them had these abilities, only a selected few who would carry out the dealings of their goddess. The land was initially given to the first alpha of Aiyana's family as they were known as the guardian of the Moon Goddess." Dahlia informed while gently scratching Gabe's head as he sat quietly with his eyes closed and his mouth open.

"The Guardian of the Moon Goddess? Why would a goddess need a guardian to protect her?" I asked as Dahlia looked over at me before going back to scratching Gabe.

"The Moon Goddess wasn't the only deity of this world. Though she gave this land to her creations, other creations that she hadn't made also wanted this land. Other deities wanted this land. There's nothing like gaining more land and more new creations. Most of the deities were either greedy or they didn't care."

"So, an almighty goddess needed protection from other deities? That sounds kind of made up." I stated, a little taken aback by the statement.

"I understand what you mean but many were killed protecting the Moon Goddess. She might be strong and powerful now but she wasn't always that way. The records say that she used to walk the land with her creations just before she ascended to her haven with her fallen creations. That's why she made the alphas of this land the guardian. It was passed down from one alpha to another of the same bloodline. After their goddess ascended, they were responsible for protecting the land and the creatures she made." She added with a sigh before leaning back into the couch while crossing her legs.

"So, would Aiyana be the first female alpha that the Moon Goddess created? I thought that only males could take up that position." I stated, confused at how the whole system worked. I had only known about the third in command's position since that's what my father was before the incident.

"Aiyana isn't the first female alpha, but she is the hundred and thirtieth alpha of her bloodline. As I mentioned earlier, a lot died so the title of alpha was passed on to the next sibling of the one destined to be the alpha. But, that's not what you asked." She stated while quietly laughing to herself. "Sorry, I get so carried away talking about history. Anyway,  the very first female alpha of the Sacred Land was Astrid Grigoryan, Aiyana's great great grandmother."

||||||||||

Hello all!

The next few chapters will be kind of long like this as I want to explain the history of the land and the world that revolves around our cast.

I hope it's not too boring! Please enjoy ~
Stay safe!

Andrea ✿