Colorblind

Prompt from my friend Kaitlyn: Everyone is born colorblind and see in only black and white, until they meet their soulmate.

Chloe was a normal girl, well as normal as it got in her world. She could only see black and white, as could everyone else her age. Her parents could see color, her teacher could see color, her older sister could see color, but she couldn't.

As Chloe got older, she dated every boy in sight. She longed so badly to see color. She had heard it was so beautiful.

"What do I look like, Mom?" She asked.

"You're a beautiful redhead, with gorgeous bright blue eyes." Her mother replied. "The prettiest eyes I have ever seen."

"What does that look like?" Chloe asked.

"You'll see someday." Her mother said.

"What if I never do?" Chloe asked. "What if my soulmate got hit by a car and died. What if he lives in China. What if I never meet him?"

"You will. The soulmate is looking for you too, you know." Her mother said.

Mrs. Beale was right, Chloe's soulmate was looking for her too, but not as desperately.

Beca didn't care what color looked like, her mother and father couldn't see color, her brother couldn't either. She did wish she knew what color clothes she was putting on. Beca was looking for her soulmate mostly because she was lonely.

One day, Chloe came home from a date, defeated.

"I have dated every guy I have met." She sighed. "I will never find him."

"What if its not a he you're looking for?" Her mother stated.

"Do you think I'm gay?" Chloe asked.

"You never know." Mrs. Beale said.

Chloe sighed. Why was everything so complicated?

Chloe had given up. She went through the first three years of college focused on a cappella, then at the activities fair her first senior year, she noticed a girl. As she looked at the girl, she could see the faintest color. She could see very lightly the color of this mystery girl's hair. Brown! She could see it!

Beca looked over to see a glimpse of color. There was a girl with red hair. She could see the girl's hair and her eyes! Her eyes were the most beautiful thing in the world. Beca walked over to the redhead and was about to speak, but the redhead's lips connected to hers. Suddenly, everything around her was colorful.

Chloe kissed the mysterious brunette and when she opened her eyes, everything was full of color and Aubrey was staring at her awkwardly.

"Hi." Chloe whispered, all smiles.

"Uh hi. I'm Beca...who are you?" Beca asked, wiping her lips.

"I'm Chloe."

"Well, I think you're special Chloe." Beca said. "Can you see it too?"

Chloe nodded and smiled.

"You're so beautiful in color." Beca said. She looked down at her outfit and saw no color at all. "Aw, it's not working completely."

"No, Beca. You're wearing all black." Chloe laughed.

"Oh." Beca replied.

That night, Chloe called her mother excitedly.

"I met her!" She squealed.

"Who?" Mrs. Beale asked.

"Beca. She's my soulmate. I can see the color! It's so beautiful!" Chloe sighed, dreamily.

From that day on, both Beca and Chloe saw color everyday.

~~~~