The "Sick" Puppy

"Sit, Daisy, sit." Beca said as the puppy continued chasing her tail before sitting down to catch her breath. "Good girl!"

Beca had gotten a puppy. Why? She wasn't sure. One day she just got sick of being alone so she got a dog. Dog is a woman's best friend.

One night, Beca was awoken by a terrifying sight. Her little puppy was wheezing. To anyone else that doesn't mean much, but Beca was in a bad place emotionally in her life so to see her little angel sick, made her upset.

"Daisy!" Beca said as she got out of bed to pet her puppy. "What's wrong?"

The dog kept wheezing and Beca wasn't sure why.

"We have to take you to the vet!" Beca said, but the puppy couldn't understand her.

Beca packed up her car and began to drive to the nearest vet that was open. She walked through the door with her puppy in her arms and was met with an empty waiting room.

"Hi my name is Beca Mitchell and this is Daisy." Beca said to the receptionist.

"Take a seat I'll see if Doctor Beale is ready." The man yawned. "Chloe!"

"Yeah!" A woman yelled from the back.

"Can you take a puppy right now?" He yelled.

"Sure!" She yelled.

Soon enough a woman, not much taller than Beca, with red hair and icy blue eyes, entered the waiting room.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Beale." Chloe said, holding out her hand.

"I'm Beca." Beca smiled and shook Chloe's hand. "And this is Daisy."

The dog was still wheezing and Beca was worried.

"Someone's got a little cough." Chloe knelt down to the dog's eye level. "Follow me."

Beca followed Chloe to the back where they sat in an examining room.

"So she's been coughing?" Chloe asked.

"Yeah." Beca said.

"For how long?" Chloe asked with a yawn.

"About an hour." Beca replied.

"Wow. Cautious much?" Chloe teased.

"I didn't know why. I thought she was dying." Beca tried.

"She's going to be fine." Chloe smiled. "Probably has a little kennel cough. How long have you had her?"

"Like a week." Beca replied.

"She probably caught it from the other puppies where you got her. It's pretty common. I'll give you some medicine for her and she'll be good as new." Chloe smiled.

"Thank you." Beca smiled back. This woman was growing on her.

Beca made a follow up appointment for Daisy and a few weeks later, they were back in Doctor Beale's office.

"I think the medicine has been working pretty well." Chloe said.

"Thank you." Beca replied. In the few weeks between the appointments, Beca had missed the bubbly redhead and was excited to see her again.

A few weeks later, Beca returned to the vet clinic, excited to see Chloe.

"Aww Daisy, what's wrong this time?" Chloe asked.

"She has a sore throat." Beca lied. Do dogs get sore throats?

"Okay?" Chloe replied. She check Daisy for any symptoms but she looked fine. "Daisy looks healthy."

"Oh, then I guess I was just a little paranoid." Beca said.

It took another three visits for Beca to finally ask out Chloe.

"Of course!" Chloe replied. "I've been waiting for you to ask."

"Why didn't you just ask me?" Beca asked.

"It was funny that you kept coming in here." Chloe said. "It always made my day."

That Saturday, Beca and Chloe met at a cute Italian restaurant not too far from Chloe's office. They both enjoyed that night.

~~~