Boys

Beca and Chloe homeschooled their daughter Nikkolina, who was sick almost all of her childhood. It felt like Beca and Chloe were always taking her to the hospital. They had decided to homeschool Nikki, but as she got stronger, she started to want to go to a real school.

"Momma." She said to Chloe one afternoon. "Can I go to school someday?"

Chloe was hesitant to reply. She didn't want her little angel to leave. Beca worked all day so Chloe would be all alone.

"Maybe." Chloe said.

Beca and Chloe finally decided to send Nikki to a real middle school since it was getting too hard for Chloe to homeschool her.

On Nikki's first day she made friends with boy in her class named Olly. Olly thought Nikki was gorgeous and wanted to date her, so he made his move.

"Nikkolina, will you go to the back to school dance with me?" Olly asked.

"Ew!" Nikki made a face of disgust. "Why would I go with a boy? That's gross!"

"What?" Olly asked.

"Girls marry girls and boys marry boys." Nikki said.

"No." Olly said. "Girls are supposed to marry boys. That's how it works."

"No! My moms are married!" Nikki said.

"How are you alive? You need a boy and a girl to have a baby." Olly said.

"I don't know." Nikki said honestly.

- - -

When Nikki got home, she ran into Chloe's arms and broke down crying. Chloe didn't know why.

"Nikki." Chloe whispered in the girl's ear. "What's wrong?"

"Why didn't you tell me girls date boys?" Nikki asked.

"What?" Chloe asked. "What happened?"

"Olly asked me to a school dance I told him that girls date girls then he told me that you need a boy and a girl to have a baby. How am I alive?" Nikki sobbed.

"Nikki, Honey, calm down. I will explain everything." Chloe said.

The two sat on the couch and Chloe began to talk.

"A long time ago, Mom and I used to date boys. That wasn't what we truly wanted. We are lesbians, which means we like girls instead of boys. So we found each other and got married. We wanted a little baby though, so a nice man donated his sperm so that Mom could have you." Chloe explained. "Does that make sense?"

"A little." Nikki stiffed.

"So it's perfectly fine for you to date a boy." Chloe added. "But it's also ok if you want to date girls."

Nikki looked up at her mom.

"Do you like Olly?" Chloe asked.

"A little." Nikki blushed.

"Then you should accept his offer and go to the dance with him." Chloe said.

"I will." Nikki smiled.

The next day at school, Nikki went up to Olly.

"I would love to go to the dance with you." She smiled at the boy.

"Awesome!" Olly said.

They decided to meet each other at the dance so their outfits would be a surprise.

Nikki went shopping with her moms to find the perfect dress.

"What about black!" Beca said, holding up a black dress.

"No." Chloe and Nikki said in unison.

Beca frowned and put the dress back.

"How about purple?" Chloe said, and held up a purple and pink dress.

"No." Beca and Nikki said in unison.

Chloe pouted and held the dress up to her daughter's small body.

"Momma! I already said no!" Nikki pushed the dress away, upsetting Chloe, who put the dress back on the rack.

"I found it!" Nikki said, emerging from behind the racks of clothing and holding out a gorgeous light blue lace dress.

"That's beautiful!" Chloe said.

"It'll really bring out your eyes." Beca pointed out.

"Go try it on!" Chloe said.

Nikki went into the changing room while Chloe and Beca looked at shoes. They found a pair of silver heels to match the light blue.

Nikki emerged from the dressing room smiling wide.

"I love it!" Nikki said, twirling around.

"Try these on." Chloe said and handed her the heels.

Nikki put them on and looked at the whole outfit in the mirror.

"You look gorgeous!" Beca said.

"She's growing up so fast." Chloe said and wrapped her arm around Beca, hugging her slightly.

~~~