Angels and Demons

Sitting at Cam's table was interesting to say in the least.

Ray had immediately taken to me, obviously catching on to what Cam and I were doing before my friends did. He had waved me over the second I walked into the cafeteria, Cam's usual spot open beside him.

"Hey." I sat down beside him with a small smile, earning one back out of him once I was seated.

I had always had a soft spot for Ray. He was a pretty great guy. He was smart, he had a great sense of humor, and was just and all around nice guy. It was the fact that he hated showing everyone that really bugged me. I could see it in his test scores, in the way he would talk when I was occasionally with Cam when heading to the park to see him. He was trying so desperately to fit in that he was letting himself become dumb down.

"You look great." He whispered once everyone else had introduced themselves and went back to talking.

"Thanks." I said, absentminded.

I let my eyes drift around the room until they fell on Shay and Cam across the room, sitting at my usual table. She actually didn't look all that disgusted by the fact that her "mortal enemy" was sitting a few feet away from her.

"How about we ditch and go have some fun?" Ray nudged my shoulder. I swallowed, turning back toward him with a confused look. Everyone else at the table seemed to be waiting for my answer too.

"I don't know." I started to fiddle with the hem of my tight shirt, "I mean, we shouldn't-"

"Come on, Blake." Ray said, louder this time.

"Ray, I don't think-"

"I don't know what little game you're playing with Cam, but it's obvious that you're supposed to be one of us today. Now let's go and have some fun." I shook my head, ready to stand up and walk away, when I caught the cocky look Cam was giving me.

"You know what?" I responded without looking back, "Let's go. I'll meet you guys outside in a second." The four of them nodded and shoved their trays into the trash.

I headed for the door, avoiding Shay and Cam's questioning eyes. Just as I reached the hallway, I felt a hand wrap around my waist. Before I knew what was happening, I was pinned back against the wall, Wes' arms and body completely trapping me.

"What the hell is going on with you?" He snapped. I squirmed, trying to tear my arm from his grip, my eyes still on the ground.

"What's wrong with you? Let me go, Wesley!" I cried. His grip only loosened a little, his eyes darkening.

"Stop screaming, Blake. I just want to talk." His warm breath touched my neck and an involuntary shiver went through me.

What the hell?

"Blake, can we talk like adults now?" Wes whispered, his voice husky. I opened my mouth but he was so close that my lips nearly touched his.

"Wes. . ." I started, watching as he started to back away, his head shaking repeatedly.

"Tell me why you've been acting so weird all day. Why you're dressed like that." He gave me a quick look, scanning me from head to toe as if he were trying to prove a point.

"I decided that I should change it up a little. This is our last year of High School, Wes."

"Then why is Mendoza at our lunch table? Why is he acting like a nerd? Blake, you know you can tell me anything." I smiled sadly and started to walk down the hall.