Time Of My Life

"This was a perfect idea, Cam."

I leaned back against his chest, staring out over the rushing water below us with a smile, listening to the sound of music from the bonfire upstream.

"No parents wants their child at a college party." Cam whispered in my ear, "No good parent, at least." I tilted my head back and nodded in agreement.

"I. . . can I ask you something?" I questioned. He smiled down at me, leaning back on to his hands.

"'Course." He responded.

"Last night, did you-"

"I don't remember." His face flushed as he cut me off, sweat beading on his forehead despite the cool breeze brushing his curls wildly on his head.

"Cam-"

"What good is talking about it going to do? Let's just have fun." He rested his chin on my shoulder, "The time of our lives." I gave a weak attempt at another smile, huffing out a sigh before starting to squirm in his grip.

"Let's go back to the party." I tugged Cam's hand until he rolled his eyes and stood up, snaking his arm around my waist as we headed back for the narrow path that led back down to shore.

I smiled at the feeling of sand slipping into my sandal, the sound of people cheering. It felt nice, to be able to be out on a Friday night for once.

"I will be back, My Lady. Want anything?" He nodded toward the keg across the beach. I shook my head, not trusting that there was anything over there that wasn't spiked.

"I'm good." He kissed me quickly before maneuvering through the large crowd of people.

I glanced around me, seeing a few people I recognized, but most of them were Jake's age and probably hadn't ever seen a seventeen year old girl wandering around at a college party by herself.

"You came!" I felt unwanted arms wrap around me from behind, alcohol on his breath.

"What are you doing, Jacob?" I tried to squirm from his grip, but he was dragging me back toward the rocks Cam and I had sat at for a while when we first got here, away from the crowd and Cam.

"How you feeling, Birthday Girl?" He asked, taking a swing from a flask in his hands. I shifted uncomfortably.

"My birthday's next Friday." I answered. Sober Jacob would have known that.

"You didn't come here alone, did you?" He tipped my chin up so I was staring into his bloodshot and dilated eyes.

"You never know the kind of creeps that hang around these things." I bit my tongue to stop myself from saying something I knew would only make this worse.

"Did the cat get your tongue, Blake?" He moved closer, forcing me back against the rough surface of the rock.

I held my breath, glancing over his shoulder to catch a glimpse of anyone who might look in our direction. It was too much to hope that this was going to play out like a movie or book, where the hero shows up just in time to save the girl from the bad guy.

"You want some?" He offered the flask with one hand, his other behind me on the rock.

"Let me go, Jake." I whispered, not risking trying to push myself away from the rock-and him.

"I just wanna play, babe." He took another swing, "You remember when we were kids? We all used to play in that ratty treehouse." I swallowed, my stomach suddenly lurching at his words.