Maybe It's Better This Way

I woke up with an aching in my neck.

Lifting my head up, I found Cam's hard chest slowly heaving up and down under me, his head in an even more awkward position than mine had been.

My body was curled up on his lap, my legs kicked over the arm of the chair, a blanket thrown over them.

"Goodmorning, Sunshine." I looked toward Ray walking into the room, "You slept well, I take it." I waved him off, hissing in pain as I tried to move off Cam's lap. Three things happened then.

Of course Blake The Klutz broke lose at that moment and I fell to the ground, hard, my hand grabbing on to Cam's lap to keep from faceplanting.

Cam's eyes shot open and before I could say a word, he threw the blanket that had been draped on us over his lap.

Ray dropped the cup of water in his hands to the floor as he doubled over laughing.

"Are you okay?" Cam asked, looking ready to move forward, but blush darkened his cheeks a few seconds later and he leaned back into the chair.

"I'm fine. Sorry." I tried to pull myself up, but ended up slipping again. I huffed out a frustrated sigh and laid my head back against Wes' bed, giving up on trying to stand up for the time being.

"You guys," Ray pointed at us once he regained his composure, "are my new favorite couple."

"You're an idiot, Ray." Cam and I mumbled in unison, then exchanged a surprised look.

"Cammy." Ray slapped his hands on Cam's shoulder, "Why don't you stand up and stretch." I saw a mixture of anger and embarrassment cross my best friend's face.

"Fuck off, Raymond. You know why." I felt blush beginning to creep into my cheeks.

"The soul fact that Blake is only in a tank top is a turn on for you, isn't it?" Ray was taunting him, but I couldn't hold back my laugh when I saw Cam's cheeks flush even more.

"Cam?" I reached out and laced my fingers through his, "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Blake. I. . . it's cool." He shrugged. I was about to go on when Shay appeared in the doorway and smiled sadly at the three of us in the room.

"You ready for me to relieve you guys from your shift?"

*

"Was it hard?" I whispered. Cam's finger stopped trailing itself along my arm and wrapped itself around my pinky.

"Was what hard?"

"Keeping your feelings about me a secret." I replied.

"It was horrible. But the thought of what might happen if I did tell you was terrifying, so I kept quiet." I nodded, my eyes fluttering shut as I snuggled deeper against Cam's chest with a yawn.

I could hear him humming something under his breath, probably a song, as I started to doze off.

"I love you." Cam breathed into my ear, but my sleepiness took over and dragged me under before I could say it back.

*

"Cam? I need-Jesus!" I hugged my towel tighter around me, my heart steadily pounding against my ribcage.

Mr. Mendoza was standing in the middle of Cam's room, running his hand along his comforter.

"Blake?" His eyes widened.

"Mr. Mendoza?" I responded, just as surprised.

The last thing I thought I'd be doing on a Sunday afternoon was standing in nothing but a towel in front of the man that had taken my best friend and stomped him into the ground when he was eight years old.