Be Kind and Rewind

I tore myself away from Jacob, slamming back against my headboard.

Cam was staring at us with so many emotions dancing through his eyes that it was hard to try and pinpoint one of them. My mom was hugging a blue robe tightly around her, her face seeming to grow redder and redder by the second.

"When I said to kiss, I was being sarcastic." Cam snapped, "I didn't mean for you two to shove your tongues down each others throats." He was shaking his head, as if it would get the image of what he had just seen out of his head.

"Blake Louise Hart! I told you to never have boys in here without-"

"You shut up." Cam cut my mom off, pointing his finger like a child at her, "You are nearly naked and have a guy over, and you have the audacity to tell Blake what she should be doing with her love life?" My mom looked as if she didn't know whether to turn and run out of the room or walk over and smack Cam.

"Cam-" I started, standing up. He shook his head, clearly disgusted.

"God, Blake. I love you and I understand your crush on him, but make sure I'm not around to see this, any of it." He walked out of the room like a normal person this time, brushing passed my mom with a shake of his head. I wrapped my arms around myself, bowing my head under my mom's dark eyes.

"Why is he here?" I asked before I could stop myself. Mom's entire face fell, her eyes starting to glisten in the dim light of my bedroom.

"Blake, I-"

"Mom, why is he here?" Jacob's eyebrows were starting to draw in confusion at my words.

"We're just talking." She whispered.

"Just talking? Mom, you were ready to have sex in my seat on the couch. How is that just talking?" I could hear my voice starting to waver and did everything in my power to stop it from cracking.

My dad had a lot of nerve showing up now, seventeen years later. Seventeen years too late.

I never had a dad to teach me how to ride a bike, or push me on the swing or down a slide. All I had ever had was my mom, and now that he was back, I wasn't sure if I'd even have that.

"He's been back in town for a couple months, we've been talking, Blake. He wants to try and be in your life, sweetie." She was so quiet that I had to strain to hear her in my silent room.

"Seventeen years later? Really, Mom?" I tossed my hands up in exasperation. "It's a little late, don't you think?"

She spun on her heels and stalked out of the room, shutting my door gently behind her. I waited until her footsteps faded to sit in my computer chair and run my hands through my dark hair, pushing it out of my face.

"Blake." Jacob reached over and laid a hand on my knee, "I'm sorry. That was kind of impulsive and I didn't expect it to blow up like that." I shrugged, leaning back in my chair with a sigh.

"It's not your fault, Jake. I kissed you back anyway." I dropped my hands on to my lap, "I'm just a little stressed as it is, and to have him back here just makes things worse." He rubbed my knee slowly with a sad look.

"I'm sure that Cam freaking out doesn't help. I mean, he was the one that set this whole thing up, I don't understand why he's so weirded out by it."

"What do you mean?" I replied, narrowing my eyes at Jacob.

"I mean that my brother has been talking you up for years. How smart you are, how beautiful, and courageous. How outgoing and cute. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was in love with you." I shook my head, making a strange sound.