A Strong Hart

"Blake, sweetheart. We need to talk."

The second I walked into the living room, on my way to grab a package of poptarts and a water bottle for Cam and I, my mom perked up.

She was sitting beside my father, her fingers laced through his and resting on her lap.

"Cam's upstairs." I whispered, coming up with the first excuse that came to mind.

I honestly wasn't in any sort of mood to hear all the bullshit my Mom was going to try and feed me about my father, all the lies and excuses she'd give for him not being here for the last seventeen years.

My mind was still reeling over what happened last night with Jacob, and Cam's bitterness had only added to everything.

"He can wait, Blake. Sit down." She gestured toward the recliner, a sad smile playing on her lips. I gave her a hesitant look before throwing myself on to the chair, sighing.

"So, I saw that Jacob run out of the house last night." She said with a worried look, "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"No."

"Blake, you nee-"

"I'm not having the safe sex talk with you again, Mom. Especially not with him in the room." I glanced back toward the stairs, making sure Cam hadn't ventured out of my room to come find me.

"Sweetie, you've been sneaking around a lot more, teacher's have said you've been absent in a few classes, and now I'm seeing you wearing all of these. . . different outfits." I shook my head, starting to get up.

"I'm not talking about this with him in the room, Mom. I'm fine, my grades are fine. That's all that matters, right?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Blake, stop acting-"

"Cam's waiting for me." I repeated, starting to move toward the kitchen for what I had come to get in the first place.

"Blake, I'm pregnant." I paused in the middle of the pantry, my mouth hanging open as I stared blankly at the wall in front of me.

"Sweetheart, say something." My mom whispered, but I could barely even let out my shaky breaths.

"I know it's a new adjustment." My father spoke up before my mom could go on, "But you'll be a great older sister, a-"

"How would you know?" I whirled around, my eyes stinging with tears as I glared accusingly at him.

"You don't know me, James! Don't sit here and act like you've been here the last seventeen years of my life." I blinked quickly, not allowing myself to cry in front of them.

"You left me, your daughter. But now you'll have a second chance, right? Because I wasn't good enough for you." I ripped the entire poptarts box from the pantry and waters before jogging up the stairs and away from my parents before either of them could stop me.

*

"It's not you, Blake." Cam assured me, his mouth still full. I looked away, picking at the tip of my chocolate chip poptart, my eyes pooling with tears.

"It's your job to say that, Cam. But it is me. Why else would no guy approach me at school before now? Why would my dad leave a six month old unless I did something wrong?" Cam slapped my poptart out of my hand before taking both of my wrists in his hands and staring at me with a serious look.

"Blake, nobody at school wanted to make a move on you because of me, not you. And it was your father's mistake not staying to raise the wonderful woman you've become. Don't ever blame yourself." He smiled weakly, almost as if he were trying to convince himself of what he was saying.