Stitches

"Blake? When was your last period?"

My head whipped up at the question, my eyes falling on Ray sitting a few desks away.

"What?" I asked.

"I asked what your next period is? I've got AP English." I blinked a few times, shaking my head as I tried to recall my next class.

"History, I think." I responded, my thoughts already drifting elsewhere. My eyes were on the movie playing and Mr. Dell passed out behind his desk. I hadn't been able to focus on anything all morning, my mind seemed to keep circling back to on thing in particular.

Last night.

"You okay?" Ray questioned when I sent him a quick look over my shoulder. I nodded, forcing a smile on to my face. The term saved by the bell hadn't ever been anything more than a joke to me until that moment. It literally saved me from pouring my guts out to him.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then, yeah?" He slapped a hand on my shoulder before heading for the stampede of people rushing out of the room. I let my eyes fall on Mr. Dell as he shook himself awake, yawning.

"Ms. Hart, is everything okay?" I shoved my books into my backpack, tossing it over my shoulder with a quick smile shot in the teacher's direction.

"Great, Mr. Dell. See you tomorrow!"

*

"Okay, Blake. Something's obviously going on, spill." Shay rested her hand on top of mine, a weak reassuring smile stretching across her face.

"It's not that big of a deal, I co-"

"You've been in your own head since you got here, haven't heard a word I've said, and from what Ray is saying, you were the exact same way at school today." I shifted in the seat beside Wes' hospital bed, still brushing my thumb along the top of his hand.

"Cam and I had sex last night." I whispered, wishing I could bury myself in a bundle of blankets and never come out of them.

"Wow, wow. Back it up." Shay looked lost, "You and Cam had sex last night? As in, Cameron Mendoza took your virginity?"

"Yes." I croaked.

"But you were willing, right? He didn't-"

"Of course not!" I exclaimed, then calmed myself, "I. . . it was great. I mean, it hurt and then it was amazing, and then I realized I didn't know if we used protection and-"

"Okay, okay. Back it up again. You don't know if you used protection?" Color drained from Shay's face.

"No." I tapped my foot anxiously against the floor, "He's been carrying them around for a while, but he was wearing sweatpants with no pockets when he came in last night." She shook her head repeatedly, as if she were trying to shake out the thought of Cam and I being together.

"Have you asked him?" She finally questioned after minutes of silence.

"No." I muttered.

"What do you mean, no?"

"I mean that I freaked out when I woke up this morning and left my own bedroom before he woke up."

She face plamed herself. Her blonde bangs falling into her eyes as she groaned.

"You don't do dumb crap like that, Blake. Now he's going to think he did something wrong." She said, sounding as miserable as I felt.

"Why would he think that? It wasn't him and I-"