Chapter 1: "Every Musicians fan, after the curtain comes down."

Minneapolis, 1987

Diana's pov

A swole security guard blocks the back entrance "I'm sorry, band members only."

"Oh that's too bad.." I sigh unbuttoning my bustier jacket.

Now before you go assuming I'm some kinda prostitute getting my big break, think again. First off, My name is Diana Jaquilena Rockwell. Gentleman's entertainer,  and professional Heart breaker. I can have any man I want in the palm of my hands. Such as this guard here.

Instantly hypnotized, the guard let's me through. "Good boy." I button my bustier back up and enter the door that led to dressing rooms.

My girlfriends crowded the hallway like stray dogs at a junkyard. "Hey Di." waved Roxanne.

They must be waiting for the "backstage entertainment"

They must be waiting for the "backstage entertainment". Knowing them, the always have a story to tell afterwards.

I wave back continuing down the dim lit hallway.

I've been to First Avenue twice already, but this time seemed special. After moving here at sixteen I became part of the great city of Minneapolis. When I saw Purple rain at fifteen, I was sure that this place would help me reach my goal. If Apollonia could be a star. Why can't I?

A funky beat faintly played down the way. It grew louder and louder the closer I got to the vicinity.

"Everybody's talkin
all this stuff about me
Why don't they just let me live?
I don't need permission
To make my own decisions
That's my prerogative.."

I lean my back against the bar counter, watching the band onstage shuffle, the entertainment was so dry I had to order a drink to quench my thirst.

I switch positions, facing the waiters And waitress. One stood in front of me. I study her name tag through the dull light. 'Jill'.

She noticed me looking at her tag, but assumed I was looking at her cleavage. "Can I help you?" She asked, a strange look upon her face.

She startled me a bit. "White Russian."

Nodding she began making my drink, once finished she slid it against the counter in a small glass. I pay and tip her and took a quick sip.

I cringed at the strong taste of Smirnoff running down my throat.

"You new?"