Chapter 13: Calico Records/ One on one

Monday, 11:59 AM

Diana

"Heat! Uh-Uh! It ain't hard to beat! Uh-Uh!" A loud bang from downstairs interrupts me from doing my makeup. "Okay! Okay!" I shout trotting down the stairs. "What are you the fucking police?!"

I swing open the front door.

"Are you ready? We have to be at Calico Records in like thirty minutes!" Gigi complains.

"What's the matter? Got your panties in a knot? Calm your tits." I say.

I then return to my room quickly to retrieve my coat then return to the ladies. "Alright, Vamonos."

The six of us pile into Roxy's van. She blasts We Are Not Alone by Karla DeVito, driving recklessly on the street.

"Di?" Roxy called me.

My eyes meet the reflection of hers in the mirror. "Yes?"

"What do you think about that Bonello bloke?" she asks.

"Not a damn thing." I answered.

"Bullshit! The look on your face that night said it all! You got the hots for him."

"Oooh!" The girls cooed.

"Cállate! Cállate!" I throw my head back.

"Don't whinge. It's true and you know it, Diana."

Dana and Gigi high five each other while having a laughing fit.

"Change the topic please!".

The mocking only continued until we arrived at our destination.

The building was tall and wide. Above the entrance was the title, Calico Records, with the O's as spinning vinyls.

I and the girls hop out the van one by one to get a better look.

We watched the structure in awe.

"Well, are we gonna go in?" I ask.

With a laugh, we enter the building. "Welcome to Calico Records, How may I help you?" asked the blonde woman behind the desk.

Before I begin, Richard emerges from the double doors behind her. "Oh! Ladies!" he welcomed. "Don't worry Doris, They made an appointment. Follow me, girls."

We do as told, entering to a small room with a long grey table, Richard, A fifty year old bald man in a suit, and a curvy middle aged black woman. the two stood, "Girls, this is my uncle, Charles Calico, the founder of Calico Records. And this is Anita Frederickson, the co-founder of this here glorious establishment." spoke Richard. "Anita, Uncle Charlie, These lovely women are The Diamond Dolls."

"It's a pleasure meeting you women, please sit." Anita suggested it kindly.

We sat as she begun explaining the tape Richard sent in of our performance a couple nights ago. Speaking of Richard, I had noticed that Richard's eyes were fixed on me while Anita spoke.

He had this charming smirk on his face like he was just worshiping me within his head. I return a smirk to him and wink.

His smirk grew into a toothy smile.

"Right, Diana?" Gigi questioned, tuning me back into reality.

"Yeah, Totally!"

Anita enthusiastically clapped her hands together with a chubby grin on her face. "Alright girls, We need you all to sign here.", she slid the clip-boarded contract to me, I sign it then pass it to Gigi who passes it to Dana and so on until we reach the last, whom returns it to Anita.

"Girls....WELCOME TO CALICO RECORDS!" Anita shouted.

I ran and hugged Richard, as the girls celebrated with screaming and jumping from joy.

Later that day Diana's Apartment

"Oh my God, you guys! I can't believe this!" Gigi shouted. "I mean, we're gonna be famous!"

I tap my cigarette against the edge of the ash tray. "That's all fine and dandy, but we've gotta come up with more songs than Heat."

"Don't worry about that, love. Poetry flows through my veins." Dana announced.

"Yeah, but what about Album titles, singles, and tours?" I ask.

Dana rolls her eyes "Diana, would you stop worrying! lets just work with what we can do for now. Calico has our back, they'll set up tour dates and concerts, for now let's just work on the music."

The ringing of my phone interrupts me before responding.

I put out my cigarette and headed towards the kitchen to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hi Diana. This is Bill."

"Oh hey, Bill what's up?"

"Well. Joker, isn't doing so well. He wanted to talk to you." He said.

"Okay, well can you put him on the phone then?"

"No. He wants to talk to you one on one. I'll be there in about twenty minutes to pick you up."

"Okay, but-"

Bill hangs up on me before I could finish.

I return to the girls with a confused expression.

"Who was that?" Alana asked.

"Um...nobody... but you guys have to go. I have to meet up with someone."

"Okay..." she says gathering here things before leaving with the girls.

"I hope everything's alright." Alana says to the girls.

I shut the door and lock it.

After they left, I sat on the sofa waiting for Bill.

I mean what does he have to say that is so important he can't even speak about it on the phone?

After twenty minutes if deep internal thought, the door bell rings.

On our way there I tried keeping up conversation with Bill, I tried to at least get him to to give me hints on what Michael wanted to speak about, but he wouldn't budge.

Once we reached the vicinity, Bill lead me to Michael and left the two of us alone.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" Michael asked kindly.

"No, thank you."

I sat on the bed, he sat beside me keeping a bit of distance.

"Diana...I.." he began, but couldn't seem to continue.

"You, what, Michael?"

He sighed and continued on "You know that I love Charlene right?"

"Yes."

"And that she very much loves me?"

"Yes, so what? Is that what you wanted to me to come all the way over here for? To brag about you girlfriend?" I shot up.

"No! Sit down!"

"No, just tell me what it is!"

"Diana, Calm down! There's no need to yell!"

"What is it then?!".....

...."We're through!"

I know, I know... I'm ashamed that took so long. Writers block for this story got the best of me. I wasn't sure how I wanted this to continue on, but today I finally found a way and boy am I happy took this route.
Expect more tea in the future.

~💋Dirty Diana💋~