1: new hood

(rewritten)

miya's pov

I left my home back in Cleveland to move in with my sister in Chicago. My parents tried too hard to control everything I did. They'd say "this has too much sugar" and "no, they look like bad kids" and "you can't go see them perform, they curse too much".

My sister and I used to do everything together and my parents wouldn't care. I honestly have no idea what happened. My sister and I are only three years apart. I'm fifteen which makes her eighteen. I cannot wait to move in with her. She lives in sort of a bad neighborhood but I mean, our old neighborhood wasn't that much better.

I finally arrived. I payed the Uber driver before I got out of the car. I remember when I talked to my sister on the phone she said she lived next a house full of kids around my age and on the other side was a very nice couple. I couldn't wait to meet them.

I only had one suitcase with me. It carried everything that I had. What can I say? My parents never let me leave the house, put any posters on my wall, they never bought me any clothes or let me buy myself any clothes as well. My whole life I've had to wear my sister's old clothes. I can't complain though, my sister has nice style.

I walked up the porch and knocked on the door. A smile formed on my face from the excitement of seeing my big sister for the first time in a year! The door opened and my sister stepped forward reaching her arms out, we both screamed with excitement and I ran into her arms. I felt like crying. For the first time in a year, I finally felt happy.

We pulled away and she grabbed my suitcase from my hands, "Shit, Miya. This is all you brought."

"That's all I have," I replied shrugging.

"Yeah, we are definitely going shopping once you get settled in." We both laughed together.

I walked in and looked around. The house was nice. Small, but nice. I liked it.

"So, once you get unpacked you can help me start dinner."

I looked at her confused and chuckled, "Kate, it's 2:30 in the afternoon."

She shrugged, "I know, I invited the neighbors over for dinner for a, like, welcome party for you."

"Wow, really? Thanks," I said, softly smiling at her.

"Yup, now go unpack," he urged me. I rolled my eyes and started up the stairs.

Once I got to my room I set my bag down. Kate made my room look just the way I've always wanted it to. I had so many posters on my wall. There was one of Corey Haim, another of River Phoenix. Then, a Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries, and Walking Dead and a Post Malone poster. I squealed, fangirling a little too hard.

"Oh, my God! Kate, thank you for the posters," I called downstairs to her. I heard her laugh and looked around at the rest of the room. It was pretty big. I had a huge mirror attached to a dresser with a make up kit, perfumes, lotions, body washes, and nail polishes setting on it. My walls were a greyish-purple color and it was really cute. I had furry carpet, furry chairs, furry pillows, furry blankets, furry everything!

I couldn't help but let a giggle out as I unpacked all of my clothing and put it all away.

When I finished, which only took me about 10 minutes, I ran downstairs.