Alternate Ending 1

(TW: self-harm.)

"Dan?" Phil knocked on the door, resting his side against it. "Look, I'm really sorry for what I said. I shouldn't have acted that way." He waited for a few seconds but everything inside the room is filled with nothing but silence. "Dan." He knocked again. He tried to call him, as he hear his ringtone going off between the walls but no answer.

'Probably drunk like the usual', he thought and sighed as he pushed himself off the door to text him as he walked away to the staircase. He went down the stairs and felt that something isn't right.

'Nah, I've done this a couple of times. It's alright.' He thought, trying to think positive. The silence doesn't feel right at all. Normally, there'd be a couple of murmured slurs, hics, body slamming and bottle smashing, but it was too quiet.

He went downstairs, recognized one of Dan's landlord, who arrived just for the rent Dan forgotten to pay for a few days ago. He was talking on the phone ruthlessly.

"Excuse me, hello, are you Dan's landlord?" Phil asked.

The landlord turned at Phil, giving a dirty look at him and then turn to talk to whoever is on the phone. Phil waited, not willing to give up to check up on Dan.

The landlord finished his phone call. "Yes I am, and you are his regular customer?"

The sentence didn't affect Phil. "No, but I am his friend."

"Whatever you say so." The landlord didn't believe him. "What do you want from me?"

"Can you please unlock Dan's door?" He asked.

"Why should I?" The landlord crossed his arms. "If he ain't home, come back later."

'Because you care about money, you pig.' Phil thought, wished he say it out loud, but it'll ruin the chance of unlocking Dan's door.

"Listen," Phil emphasized it impatiently, but tried not to make it obvious. "you're here for the rent. You have the key. Maybe if you can access to Dan's flat, you can have the paid rent. Dan told me he's going to pay it only if you come right at his door."

Phil lied about Dan paying the landlord, but he knew the landlord only comes along when the rent's due. Money is what makes the landlord lit up, but he felt what Phil said was too good to be true.

"How can I trust you?"

"You don't have to. I'm just here to see my friend. You're here for the money. After this, we're done. I won't bother you anymore."

"Fine." The landlord agreed, only because he wanted money. Phil had a silent victory in his head. He followed the landlord till they reached to Dan's door.

"Daniel?" The landlord knocked a couple of times in an annoying manner like he usual do.

"See, smuck, he ain't home. I do this every time and he comes right about now. Come back later." The landlord was ready to leave, only to be stopped when Phil said, "I guess you're wasting time with the rent."

The landlord came back and sighed with defeat, unlocking the door. "I'm not stepping in this filthy place. Go look for Daniel and come back with the money."

Phil ignored him, rushed inside. The living room was a disaster. Chairs were knocked out and glass bottles of cheap alcohol shattered and liquid soaked on the shabby rug.

He squatted down, clearing the pillows that was thrown off and found Dan's phone. 'Did he intentionally ignore me?' He thought.

"Hurry up!" The landlord exclaimed, tapping his foot impatiently.