Chapter seven

"I don't know why I moved out, I just feel so grown up."

Dan and Phil sat on an empty bench, with the astonishing view of the night sky. A rare view for Dan, who lives in a place filled with neon lights flashing and buildings that lights stay up all night, darkening the stars away.

"My mum was unhappy," Phil paused. "But she wanted me to be independent. I wish my dad was with us. I felt bad when I saw mum's teary eyes when I was in the car."

"What happened to your dad?" Dan asked, slouching down the bench and spread his legs apart for comfort. "He passed away. He had a tumor in his heart. I was only 7."

"I'm so sorry, Phil."

"Mum was lonely most of the time," Phil sighed. "She didn't become an alcoholic, which was nice. She talks to dad as she looked through his picture."

"But," Phil curled a slight smile. "I call my mum every single day so she wouldn't feel less lonely." Dan faced down the stone path, having a small thought of his mum.

Dan's mum never felt lonely since he has his father and brother living with her. They were a happy family. Two parents who were in love with each other since their high school years. He never give a thought if his family was either happy or broken since he ran away.

"She really loves you, Phil." Dan spoke, fidgeting his fingers. "Even she was happy when you came out to her."

"I was actually frightened telling her that." Phil admitted. He chuckled for a bit, picking up the crusty leaf that has fallen on his chest and crushed it into bits. "But she was really happy about it."

"I was in the mall one day, and I opened up to her. She was kind of distracted looking for hats and stuff. So I tried again at home."

"Why did you choose the mall, Phil?"

"I don't know. Mum was in a happy mood so I thought it'll be the right time to tell her." Phil flicked away bits of leaves sticking onto his finger.

"I even told dad, I don't know how he felt about it but I'm sure it's positive." Phil placed his hands at the back of his head. "Does your mum know about your boyfriend?" Dan asked, now laying back.

"Yeah. I never told her I was in a abusive relationship. Whenever she came to visit me, I had to use a turtle neck sweater to hide my noticeable bruise. I didn't want her to worry. Luckily, it was winter."

"And my boyfriend would somehow switch into a genuine person. When mum leaves, my ex boyfriend would pull my hair and slap me if he can't hold in much longer."

"I wasn't able to kick him out when I told his mum about it. So, I moved to a different place and chose Manchester."

Phil stood up right on his feet. He briskly walked towards the fountain and climbed over the edge, walking along its path. Dan didn't come along to the path as he chose to stay below Phil.

"I choose Manchester as well, despite the fact my mum thinking I'll be going to London when I'm not." Dan sat on the edge of the fountain, not in a mood to take another step.

"Well," Phil jumped off from the fountain and sat next to him. "We went from different ways and now we're here." He chuckled.

Phil wasn't aware a slight obstacle in front of his feet. He took a step forward to Dan, only to trip and push Dan into the fountain. Dan quickly gripped onto Phil and both of the boys became soaking wet.

~

"I hate you, Phil." Dan rolled his eyes as he held a cup of hot water around his shivering fingers. He was covered in a thick towel covering his half naked body. He watched Phil's strand of hair dripped out water.