A Proper Family

A Proper Family

Sirius was sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace in the Lupin living room that evening, just waiting for the Potters to return from Hogwarts with James. Ned Veigler had met Remus and Sirius at King's Cross, as planned, and he'd brought the boys and their trunks back to the house before using the Floo to head back to Fallengundur to check on the Kneazle. Remus was in the kitchen, making dinner, and trying to coax Sirius away from the hearth, but Sirius wouldn't budge and rather sat in the glow of the Christmas tree that had been set on display in the corner, waiting, his eyes moving over the photos of the Potters that graced the mantle.

His eyes flickered to one he hadn't noticed before - it hadn't been there during the summer was why - and he got up and went over and lifted it from the shelf, his hands closing 'round the heavy frame that contained it. In the photograph stood Dora, Charlus, James... and Sirius. It was from summer, and they were all crowded about Charlus, who was sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the porch, and they were smiling and waving and James had his arm about Sirius's waist and Dora sat on the arm of the chair, Charlus's arm about her, their fingers laced together in her lap... And in the margin at the bottom, in Dora's pretty script writing, were the words, Our Family, Summer 1976.

Sirius blinked back tears.

Remus came into the room carrying two plates of food. "Look, if this is gross it's alright to tell me and we'll order in from the pub in town, so don't be choking down gross food if you don't like it. My feeling are not going to be hurt, I'm --- Sirius? Are you alright?" He stopped and put the food down on the table.

Sirius held up the photo.

Remus wiped his hand on his jumper and looked it over. "That's a nice one," he said, and he smiled. "I like that you're in it." James was messing up Sirius's hair in the picture and Sirius was turning 'round to smack him. Remus laughed, "Is that it? Are you crying because James knocked Hair Number 572 out of its rightful place?"

"I'm not crying, I have something in my eye," Sirius said, clearing his throat and he stepped quickly over to the couch to inspect the food Remus had brought forth. Remus smirked and put the photo frame back on the mantle shelf before turning 'round as Sirius picked up the plate and started shovelling bites of the fragrant Lamb, Mint and Butterbean stew Remus had concocted into his mouth. "Goddddds Moony, this is soooo goooooood," moaned Sirius, and he hunkered down with his spoon.

Remus smirked, thinking of other times Sirius Black had moaned those very words. "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Well, good; I'm glad you like it. There's plenty of it." Remus sat beside him and ate his, though much more slowly - he'd been picking at the food while he cooked and had already eaten a fair amount of food in the making of the stew.

Sirius smiled. He watched Remus eating over the rim of his own dish and he slowed for a moment in gulping down the stew and he just stared at his boyfriend. His caring, loving, gentle, chef of a boyfriend. His fingers clutched the warm plate as his lips tweaked up in the corners as he studied Remus's features - the curve of his nose, the jagged line that cut over his nose and the other along his jaw... Remus's scars reflected the light of the Christmas tree, and Sirius heard the echo of Remus's words on the train. It isnt fun having scars on your face. He cleared his throat and Remus looked over at him.

"What are you smirking about?" Remus asked.

Sirius said, "You."

"You're smirking about me? Oh gods, what did I spill on myself or something?" Remus looked down at his jumper.