Worth Living For

Worth Living For

Think of things worth living for.

Mum and dad.

They need me.

But they have each other. Eventually, without me, they'd be okay.

Something else. What else...

Alright. The lads. Peter, Remus, Sirius.

Well, Peter really just needs someone. Doubt he's really picky who. If it isn't me, it'll be Rey or Siri. They'll take care of him. Peter would survive without me.

Remus has Sirius. He'd be okay, too, if I were to die.

Sirius, though.

Sirius needs you.

But then again, he, too, has Remus, and Rey could talk him down from anything. Rey could stop him going mad if...

Sirius might not think he could do it, but I know he could go on without me. Not that hard, really... He'd find a new best friend to play pranks with. By next April Fool's, he'll have forgotten all about me.

They'll all have done.

Maybe its best this way.

Maybe it's best if I died.

It would feel so bloody good to look Voldemort in the face and tell him he could fuck off. For a final act, that's not such a bad one, I s'pose. I mean if one's got to die, dying looking into the face of your enemies and having the final word isn't such a horrid one...

Maybe.

I dunno.

I've never had to die before.

Well, I have been close.

Like that time in the cave, with the inferius, and we were all running for our lives and Evans with that excellent wand work, holding off the bloody zombies. Or, same cave, when that hand grabbed my ankle and Maryrose and I had to run for our lives to get away from it.

Or Fenrir Greyback in that other cave, over Hogsmeade.

Merlin's beard, I've got a thing for nearly dying in caves, haven't I?

Suppose I should stay away from them.

Well, I mean, I reckon if I die here now I won't be needing to avoid caves anymore. Being dead and all, there's not a whole lot of caves to be avoiding.

I don't really want to die.

Don't think about it.

I can't not think about it, though.

Dying is the last defiance I have left. Dying is the last thing I can do to fight Voldemort. He wants me alive, he wants to torture me. Can't torture me if I'm dead, though, can he?

Facing Voldemort. That's another way I've been close to dying before.

Faced Voldemort a fair few times, too, haven't you? First year, in the Forbidden Forest with the lads and Lily. I still can't believe I called him a wanker. That was great. Best thing I ever did, really. See, that's the kind of defiance you can have now. Just look the old bastard in the eye and say something really brilliant like that again, then die. Don't let him even get a response in before you do, just say it and out.