Flashbacks

Flashbacks

Regulus Black had never been so thirsty in his entire life. He was shaking. He had staggered along through the trees of the forest, a bit aimlessly, unable to think as he ought to. The sun was setting when he'd found a path that cut through and he stared off toward the silhouette of the castle that spiked against the inky blue-black sky. It just seemed so bloody far away, and he couldn't imagine walking all that distance. Not like he was feeling now. Dizzy and confused, alone, and weak. He had no idea how long he'd been gone, if anyone had noticed, or, worst of all, exactly where he had been.

He only knew that there had been great and terrible things.

Nightmares that had come to life.

Regulus tripped over an exposed root of a tree and hit the dusty path on his hands and knees, cutting his palm on a rock - reopening a wound that he didn't know where it had come from, blood splattering over the soft tan ground.

"R-Regulus Black." A voice cut through the dark behind him as Regulus struggled to his feet. "Whatever are you doing, uh, here?"

He turned, cradling his bleeding palm, and squinted as a ball of light flashed toward him. Wandlight... Regulus realized, feeling quite foolish, that he ought to have been using his wand to help him find his way all this time... after all, he was a wizard. He had a wand right in his jumper pocket. He could've had water and light any time if he'd only thought to draw his bloody wand! He wasn't certain he could've performed magic, though, given the lack of strength that weighed down his bones now.

The wandlight had come close enough now that Regulus could see the man behind it.

"Mr. Scamander?" he said, voice weak but surprised.

"What are you doing - ou-outside of the castle at-at this hour?" Newt demanded and he put down his suitcase at his feet to reach over and dust Regulus off a smidge and cast his wand in a way so that the light wasn't blinding Regulus, but glowed off the dusty pathway. "It's v-very dangerous to be outside of Hogwarts at this hour. E-Even in Hogsmeade," he scolded.

Regulus said, "I don't know what I'm doing out." His voice trembled.

Newt studied him a moment. He recognized in Regulus Black's eyes the flickering panic like that of a wounded animal... Newt's fingers tightened 'round his wand and he glanced around the path, a feeling of uneasiness coming over him. "Are you alone?" he asked, very quietly.

Regulus nodded. "As far as I know," he added.

Just then, there was a sound in the path behind them and Newt Scamander turned around, quickly stepping forward so that his suitcase was directly behind him, reaching one hand 'round to push Regulus protectively in his shadow as well. He directed his wand at the path, ready, his lower lip trembling slightly with the spell resting right at the edge...

And a man emerged from the shadows... a grizzly man with thick hair that knotted about his head. For a moment, Regulus thought it was Rubeus Hagrid, the man was so hairy, but it was far too short to be Hagrid (though not short by any means other than in comparison to Hagrid).

Death Eater - come to kill me, come to finish me off for the Dark Lord, Regulus thought in a panic. He was certain of it, and he scrambled for his own wand, drawing it from his pocket and holding it up with a shaking hand, aiming it at the hairy new arrival...

And then, to Regulus's dismay, Newt Scamander lowered his wand again.

"N-Ned!"

"Newt!" And the hairy man ducked closer and lowered his own wandlight, a smile upon his face, "We've made it at exactly the same time." He thumped Newt Scamander on the back (his own strength more than he realized, Newt stumbled slightly under the effects and his greying auburn hair shifted to hang over his forehead in a clump). The hairy man looked at Regulus Black, his eyes moving over the narrow boy. Ned looked sickly, and moved slowly, as though weak... as though struggling to go through the motions.