Waves

The conflict raging in Baekhyun's mind was enough to kill him if it could. Pride was a hard thing to swallow, and despite having so little left after years of accepting the fact that he had to put himself aside in order to raise Kyungsoo, Baekhyun was subconsciously protecting it like a second child.

He couldn't believe himself when he looked in the mirror after work ended. Inside, he knew that he wanted to go to Yixing's little get-together. On one hand, things were a bit better with Chanyeol. The giant had nothing to be suspicious about. Hell, he thought that Kyungsoo was the product of a one night stand he had after their break-up. Surprisingly, Chanyeol seemed a bit taken back by the news, as if he was washed over by regret... But what did Baekhyun know? He couldn't read people's minds. With all of that being said, it was safe to mingle with his ex--at least, that's what it felt like. It meant nothing and he had not intention of ever reigniting what died years ago.

However, on the other hand, it felt really selfish to do so. Leaving Kyungsoo behind so he could go off and spend time with his friends? It sounded so trivial. Most parents would jump at the chance to do so, but, in the end, Baekhyun couldn't allow himself to go.

Their small house was quiet. The sound of the radio playing in the background wasn't enough to distract Baekhyun at all. He walked out of his bedroom to poke his head in Kyungsoo's room where the boy was coloring pictures of animals. Maybe it was homework or perhaps it was simply for recreational purposes. Baekhyun didn't question it.

He removed himself from the room and sat in the middle of the dining room, putting his head on the small floor round table. Sighing out of pure exhaustion, he closed his eyes. For a minute, he thought he might've been able to actually drift off and sleepy in that uncomfortable position, but any possibility of that happening was put away when he heard knocking in the direction of the front door.

As far as he knew, he wasn't expecting anyone. Nobody usually came around his place that late unless it was his mother, but she would've given him the notice before stopping by unexpectedly. Unlocking the locks, Baekhyun pulled the door open, surprised to see Yixing and Jongin. It took a second for him to realize that it wasn't only them that were present. Behind them, Chanyeol stood by. When they made eye contact, the giant shrugged.

"What're you guys doing here?" Baekhyun asked slowly, eyeing the two eager men in front of him.

"We decided that it wouldn't be the same without you--and well, Minseok, but we thought we'd go get him after you," Yixing said, stuffing his hands in his front pockets. "I know you said no when Jongin asked, but--"

"You guys, this is really nice of you," Baekhyun said, interrupting, "but I can't. I have Kyungsoo and I have to put him to bed. Not to mention--"

"You can bring Kyungsoo. We're just going to go start a bonfire at the beach. Nothing too crazy," Yixing appealed.

Baekhyun sighed, looking back behind him only to be surprised that Kyungsoo was hiding behind the archway to his bedroom. He froze, unsure of what to do. Before he could say anything, Kyungsoo beat him to it.

"I want to go."

As if he wasn't already in a predicament with himself as a person, but now he was at a cross road given his parental responsibilities. Trying to persuade the six year old otherwise, Baekhyun gave him an apologetic look. "You have school tomorrow, Soo. Remember?"

"It's only seven, Baek," Jongin added, giving a wave to Kyungsoo. "Give it an hour. Two at most."

"I--"

"It wouldn't be the same without you."

Baekhyun's eyes flickered over in Chanyeol's direction. Catching his gaze, the brunet could see where Kyungsoo got his beautiful eyes from. Gripping the door handle, Baekhyun conceded and sighed. "Fine. An hour--and that includes walking over to Minseok's place and walking back."