Chances

When Chanyeol woke up, the small house was still surrounded by darkness. Daylight was still on the verge of breaking through the horizon, but when he rolled over and peaked in Baekhyun's direction, he realized that the man beside him had already rolled up his futon, clearing out his side of the area. Plopping back on his side, Chanyeol closed his eyes, wondering if he should try and go back to sleep or pull himself together and start his day.

After a few minutes had passed, it was the sound of a distant bell slowly etching closer and closer to the house that caught his curiosity enough to sit upright and decide on the latter.

Once the bedding was quietly put away and realizing that his father was still asleep in the separate room, Chanyeol made light footsteps towards to door and slipped on the thick boots they had brought with them.

The moment he stepped out of the house, he was hit by the morning air, chilly and slightly uncomfortable. It didn't take long or much investigation to figure out where the sound of bells was originating from. Down the only pathway that led up to the small house, he could see Baekhyun slowly leading a black ox by a rope tied around its neck where a bell hung, making noise with every step the giant animal took.

Chanyeol decided to walk closer, meeting the brunet just as he was approaching the house. The animal didn't seem to mind the new stranger, and Baekhyun looked almost indifferent which was more or less the reaction that Chanyeol had expected despite the fact that he was slightly hoping it would be otherwise. "Morning," he said, smiling.

Noticing the grogginess in the man's demeanor, Baekhyun nodded, wondering if any recollection from the night before had stuck. "Didn't think you'd be able to wake up this early."

"I almost didn't," Chanyeol replied honestly. Glancing over, he watched the ox as it swayed side to side. "I would've gone with you to get this thing if you had woken me up."

"You looked like you were enjoying your sleep, so I just left you alone."

"And what about you?"

"What about me?"

Chanyeol ignored the way Baekhyun was quick to turn his eyes in his direction. "Don't you have a hangover from last night?"

Pursing his lips, Baekhyun shook his head. "Not really."

"Not really?" Raising a brow, Chanyeol chuckled. "I wish I recovered from hangovers like you. Got any secrets to share?"

"Yes. It's called having responsibilities the next morning."

Stopping in his tracks, Chanyeol crossed his arms together in an attempt to appear wounded and upset, though the farce was quite obvious. "What're you trying to say, Byun Baek?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, trying to withhold himself from laughing at the latter's child-like behavior. Kyungsoo rarely threw tantrums, but when he was visibly upset, his pout resembled that of Chanyeol's by a little bit. "What do you think I'm trying to say, Mr. Park?"

"Something that's not very nice." Chanyeol put a hand on his chest, acting offended. "Ouch... I think you should apologize."

"Why? I thought it was a good come back," Baekhyun said with a brief shrug as he continued walking, leaving the latter to follower after him. "It was funny."

"It's not cute to toot your own horn, Baek."

"Didn't say I was trying to be cute."

"You're right. You don't have to try."

Chanyeol laughed at the look of surprise on Baekhyun's face, but the grin on his face remained afterwards. The playfulness of the conversation was refreshing. "You know, without Kyungsoo around, you talk differently around me."