[3.1]

At twelve- going thirteen, I graduated from middle school. Ouji-kun and I had an eventful year. Apparently, after that first case, I was featured on every magazine and news. So, we had to hide most of the times these past few years.

And let me tell you, it's. Absolutely. Exhausting. "Ah, Shino-chan, fans." I snapped out of my thoughts and pulled Ouji-kun and Yūjin behind a dumpster to hide from my fans.

Not being boastful or anything but I have a LOT of fans. The Pygmy Marmoset climbed down to my head from Ouji-kun's shoulder. "What are you doing, Yūjin?"

The monkey patted my head and I couldn't help but smile. Well, what can I say, this monkey is so adorable and he grew on me. So, Yūjin is just trying to comfort me, huh. "Shino-chan, are you sure you do not want me to chase them away?"

I shook my head at my best friend's question. Now that we're in our first year of high school, the height difference is apparent. Ouji-kun is bordering on six foot while I'm still five foot tall.

Well, he is three years older than me. I shouldn't be complaining. "Nah. Just let them. They're doing what makes them happy and I don't really have the heart to stop them." I suddenly felt a hand touching my chin and Ouji-kun lifted it up so I was looking up at him.

"What is it, Ouji-kun?"

However, he didn't reply and simply looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders. He's not hurting anyone with just staring, right? There's no harm done. I was startled and jumped to hug Ouji-kun when a voice shouted, "Ugwah!! What are you doing with Shin-neesan, you pervert?!"

Ugh, this again. I blame myself for Shinichi's sister complex. I let go of Ouji-kun, never seeing the disappointed expression on his face and turned around to look at Shin. "Shin, shut up and let me talk."

The good little boy obeyed and closed his mouth. "You're mistunderstanding  this situation. Forget it, okay? Ouji-kun is not a pervert." Shin frowned slightly but nodded anyway. I faced my childhood friend with a smile.

"I'll be walking home with Shin. Thank you for walking me this far, Ouji-kun, Yūjin." I thanked him and waved goodbye, holding a pouting Shin's hand as he looks away. Sure, I changed this Heisei Holmes a little bit but he's still the same.

His arrogance. His want for attention. His pride. His sharp detective skills. All of those remained the same.

Once we got home, we were greeted by silence. Okaa-san and Otou-san left not too long ago for America. We didn't want to come since they said they'll be staying there from now on because of work.

But we could still go on holidays together like most of the times. "Shin-neesan, I have a question." I hummed in reply. "What is it?"

"Are chocolates really poisonous to dogs?" I quirked an eyebrow at his question. "Why do you ask?" My little brother shrugged his shoulders in a nonchlant way. "Just curious." But I do know he's hiding something.

"The answer is yes. Chocolates are poisonous to dogs. But there are certain levels of toxicity. White chocolates have the lowest level of toxicity since it has less theobromine, a form of caffeine that poses danger to the kidneys, nervous system and the hearts of dogs; while a baker's chocolate has the highest level of toxicity."

I paused before continuing.

"Vomiting
Diarrhea
Thirst
Increased urination
Restlessness
Increased heart rate
Muscle tremors
Hyperactivity

These are the symptoms of a dog who consumed chocolates. Now, why the sudden curiosity?" Shin still shrugged his shoulders. I sighed. I wasn't getting anything out of him, was I?

The next day, I found myself at Teitan Hugh's empty school yard with a first year. I know what you're thinking. He's going to confess. Yes, yes he is. My eyes were half-lidded, finding this a bit boring.

Before he can grow out of his nervousness, however, a certain someone propped up their elbow on my head. The teen in front of me trembled and squeaked while running away. What, did he see a demon or something?

When I looked up, it was only Ouji-kun. "Good morning, Shino-chan." He chirped. I wonder what got him so happy so early in the day. "Good morning, too, Ouji-kun."

And our day continued without anymore trouble. Or so I thought. Later in the day, a specific number of students are being called to the gymnasium. And two of those are Ouji-kun and I.

We exchanged a look of confusion. Nonetheless, we went there without anymore questions. Yūjin was left at home since he was sick, I was only informed of this a few minutes ago.

At that moment, I felt relieved and didn't know why. Only when we reached the gymnasium did I understand.

The school and its students are being used as hostage.