[5.5]

"Well? I'm waiting."

I felt a drop of sweat slid down from my forehead to my chin as I gulped down the saliva that built up in my mouth. I threw Kotei-san a glower when I heard him stifle a laughter behind his hands. I... can't really understand him. I glanced at Ouji-kun, who tapped his foot on the floor as he waited for my answer.

I had let Yūjin rummage my fridge while I knelt down. I didn't come home last night due to the fact that Kotei-san and I were held back to give our reports to the police. However, would Ouji-kun believe me when I say so?

"There were... a few complicaions—"

"— you got lost, I know—"

"— and I was caught up in a case—"

"— again? You really are a Murder Magnet—"

"— it's not a murder, though. As I was saying, I was held back with Kotei-san here to give our reports to the police. It took the entire night since there were a lot... of misunderstandings."

I blinked when I felt Kotei-san hug me from behind. "Do forgive this precious little girl, Noir."

"Please get away from her, Kotei. I do not appreciate the fact how you're too close for comfort." I warily thanked Ouji-kun. "Shino-chan—" I let out a breath I didn't I was holding when he called me by my nickname. "— tell me next time, okay? I was worried sick." Guilt drowned me whole. It was like our roles reversed.

I unconsciously shrugged off the foreign limb on my person as I gave Ouji-kun an apologetic smile. "I apologize, then. I was being a hypocrite myself." Ouji-kun's hand found itself on top of my head and ruffled my hair. "You are going to be the death of me someday, Shino-chan." I barely held back the urge to roll my eyes at his statement.

"The same could be said to you, Ouji-kun."

A groan startled me, making me glance back at our guest. "Stop being so lovey-dovey with each other. I feel so lonely." I rolled my eyes at Kotei-san, wondering just what he came here for. (Well, he did make sure that I didn't lose my way... for the third time.) "Then why don't you leave? Shouldn't you be at work?" Thick sarcasm laced Ouji-kun's voice.

Sometimes, I have this vague sense of feeling that I've met these brothers from somewhere and that was even before I met Ouji-kun and Yūjin. I've never really acknowledged it before but seeing them interact this much and seeing how they talk to each other just made me feel oh so nostalgic about something.

"Ah, yes, work. I have a day off."

I swore a nerve popped on Ouji-kun's forehead at the tone of his brother's voice. "C'mon, Shino-chan. We have school today." Kotei-san barely held in his laughter while I facepalmed. He completely forgot, didn't he? "Ouji-kun?" He stopped halfway up the staircase with quirked eyebrows.

"How old are you again?"

"I'm twenty—"

He abruptly stopped whatever he was saying and blanched in horror. "I'm a— I'm a—" He repeated that over and over again until I decided to approach him and flicked his forehead, snapping him out of his trance. "You're. A. Ten-year-old. Kid." For some reason, I heard a distinct crack in the distance.

What the—?

I startled when Kotei-san draped an arm around my shoulders again. "Aww~ is Noir heartbroken?" I threw the ginger-head a confused expression. "Why would Ouji-kun be heartbroken? It's not like a family member died." Kotei-san suddenly bursted into laughter while my best friend's shoulders sagged even further.

Holy cheesecakes! Was it something I said?!

My worry and panic must have been obvious because Kotei-san laughed harder than before if it was possible. "Shinobu-chan, you're so adorable~" He rubbed his cheeks against mine and— what the actual cheesecakes?! We're not even that close with each other! He finally pulled away, his lips set into a casual smile.