Twenty Eight

"So Josette ditched coven life and decided to work in a hospital," Kai says from the backseat of Liv's convertible as his thumbs tap away at his new phone, "my twin sister, always aiming for mediocrity."

Liv had led us to her car after informing Kai that Jo works in Whitmore Hospital, insisting that she drive despite my offer to take us in my car. I decided to go along with them to the hospital, despite my initial plans to settle in my dorm again and acquire my new schedule for the semester. College responsibilities can wait until later, if postponing them means I can keep a watchful eye on Kai, especially around my best friend.

I appreciate Kai's attempt to keep his promise and do things in a nonviolent manner, rather than finishing things the way he started them eighteen years ago: bloody and merciless. Still, I have yet to be completely comfortable with the unpredictable witch alone with Liv. It isn't solely the thought of what he could do to her that pushed me to make the decision to join them in Kai's merge mission. It's more than that.

It's also the thought of what she could do to him, that had me quickly following them out of the bar. Liv undoubtedly resents her older brother for the mess he created in his fit of anger when she and Luke were toddlers. Having him back here, despite his evident attempts to remain civil and refrain from harming Liv or her twin, could result in a long-overdue battle, in which one or the both of them gets severely hurt or worse–killed. And I can't stomach the image of one of them bleeding out, heavily maimed, close to death due to the other's resentment.

Once, I would've been indifferent to Liv wanting to punish Kai. Now, I'll do anything in my power to stop the two of them from lunging for the other's throat.

"Being a doctor isn't mediocre," Liv retorts as she harshly makes a turn, sending Kai tumbling to the other side of the car.

"Agh," he groans, after his head hits the window.

"You–" I stop myself from finishing the question, eyes flicking from Kai in the mirror, to Liv, glaring at the road ahead.

You okay? I was about to ask him, watching with a slight frown as he rubs the side of his head with a grimace.

"What was that, Char?" Liv asks, glancing at me.

Kai lifts his head to meet my gaze in the mirror, raising his eyebrows curiously. I shake my head, sighing.

"Nothing," I reply, staring out the window, "just do me a favor and be careful when you're driving, Liv. I just got back, I don't want to die already."

She snorts, but is unable to help the grin that tugs at the side of her mouth. Kai snickers at my response, a smile replacing his previously irritated expression.

"Being a doctor isn't the worst career in the world," Kai speaks up after a moment of silence, eyes lazily watching the blurred buildings and trees flash past us, "but, why give up magic? Plenty of mortals would kill for that kind of power and then you have Jo, who just...throws it all away," he shakes his head in wonder.

"It was the logical thing to do," Liv responds flatly, "she practically had no choice, it was either that or merging with you. And she's done just fine for herself without magic. She's happy."

I swallow hard, my eyes drifting down to look at my thighs.

Jo is living a good life, having been able to leave the atrocities of her past with the Gemini coven and her twin brother behind her. Because I barely know the woman, I haven't given much thought into the repercussions of the merge for her. She'll be forced to take back her magic, a factor of her life that she removed a long time ago and has successfully attempted to move on since. And eventually, she'll merge with Kai, which will inevitably lead to one of them not making it out alive.