Forty Six

"You know, even while I was in the prison world, I somehow never thought to take a look around the famous city of New Orleans. And I've been to a ton of places. But the whole swamp-y environment of Louisiana? I was like, eh, didn't really appeal to me. But New Orleans has gotta be a sight to see when there's actually people and not just a population of one. All the music, the parties, the food...let me tell you, I was reluctant at first to get involved with your vampire crisis but now I am totally digging this plan."

Damon slams his empty glass–having been refilled four times already in the past twenty minutes–back down onto the table and glowers at Kai. "Do you ever stop talking?"

Kai tilts his head thoughtfully. "Besides when I'm busy with other basic necessities like sleeping or eating? Not really. My motto is silences are for filling."

"And sometimes they just shouldn't be tampered with."

The witch's face scrunches up in disapproval. "'Mmm, that's a lame motto. And not one I'd expect to hear from the bloodsucker who loves to listen to his own voice more than anything else."

Damon scowls and Kai smiles with false sweetness, as they stare each other down for what has to be the millionth time since we got here. The testosterone in the air is practically palpable. I groan internally, tired of the constant banter between the two, and decide to reverse the subject of conversation back to the important matter.

Caroline and Stefan are currently in New Orleans, and maybe deep down, I'm not truly that shocked by this turn of events. Or at least, I shouldn't be, nor should any of us. After all, Kai was right earlier. Two humanity-less vampires with a group of friends at home who are aiming to flip their switch back on would surely hold no interest in sticking around said group of friends. They would want a different scene, somewhere where they can execute their new carefree attitudes without limitation.

Except there is some level of limitation when it's the Mikaelsons' territory you're crossing into. Klaus is practically the king of the French Quarter and despite his taste for violence, I doubt he would take too kindly to Caroline and his ex-buddy Stefan draining people dry and wreaking havoc in his town. However, his soft spot for Caroline is obvious and something we've all been very aware of for quite some time, so hopefully he would be willing to offer his help in the conflict.

"We have to focus, guys," I stress. "They could be increasing their body count by the tens as we speak, who knows, so let's think of a solid plan. Everyone agreed that we're heading to New Orleans, right?"

Nods and vocal assents respond to this, save for Matt, who shakes his head with a sigh. "Can't head out with you guys, unfortunately. I got my shift at the Grill and the internship I've been doing at the police station."

Tyler's face darkens. "And I just don't feel up to seeing the bastard who killed my mother. I love Care, but no thanks, guys. You can go on without me."

I frown, but nod in understanding. There's no way I would try to push Tyler into doing this, especially considering his bad history with the hybrid. "I'm sorry, Tyler."

"It's fine, Char." His face softens a fraction and Liv leans into him, placing her hand over his in a gesture of comfort. "I just hope you guys figure this crap out, before anything else happens. And another thing...maybe you should sit this one out, too."

My eyebrows shoot up, then abruptly pull together. "What? Why?"

"Lockwood's right," Damon says. "Elena, Bon, and I can take the reins on this one. You're staying at Whitmore, where you're safe."