Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I wake up to the obnoxious sound of my alarm clock shrieking beside me. I blindly fumble around my bed side table in search of the damned thing. Mom insisted on buying an old fashioned alarm clock for me, seeing as they don't have a 'snooze' button. Finally, I find the clock, shut it off and shove it under my bed. Just as I adjust myself beneath my warm covers and proceed to fall back into a blissful sleep, I hear my door open and I'm suddenly jerked awake by a blast of cold air hitting my body as my covers are yanked off of me.

"Good morning, Alexa," I hear my mother say sweetly.

I burrow my head further into my pillow and groan, "Mom, I can't go school today, I'm ill." I attempt to cough into my pillow, but it comes out sounding more like a fart as my mother throws my duvet back onto the bed.

I hear my mother laugh as she says, "Mmm hmm, I'm sure you can brave the day sweetheart, come on, up, up," she claps her hands together along with her words, further adding to my sleep induced frustration.

When she doesn't speak again, I assume she's left my room, so I begin the process of getting comfortable again. "Alexa Reese Brenton, wake up NOW! DO NOT MAKE ME START COUNTING!" her animalistic shouts nearly send my heart beating out my chest.

In my sudden panic, my legs get tangled in my sheets and I fall off my bed with a loud, cushioned thud.

"Oh good, you're up," I look up into my mother's face, a victorious smile on her face.

"Technically," I say, "I'm down,"

After I finally decide to get off the floor, I dig around for my glasses and head for the shower. I usually shower in the night time, seeing as it takes me so long to wake up in the morning, it just made more sense. However, last night, by the time I finished my paper, I just about managed to print it, close my laptop and slowly climb in to bed.

I hastily blow dry my hair and throw it up in a bun. No contact lenses today, I sense the days going to be a 'nap when the teachers not looking' kind of ordeal. I throw on a pair of jeans and a baggy jumper with a 'Hello, my name is' sticker printed on it; which I filled in with a sharpie to say 'Jane Doe'. Finishing off my outfit with a pair of black booties and a few rings, I head downstairs for breakfast.

As I leave the house, I see the two large moving trucks parked next door. I stare at the men clad in dark blue work clothes as they walk back and forth between the two vans and the now vacant house carrying large cardboard boxes as I wait for Audrey to pick me up. I crane my neck in an attempt to see into the house through the front door to get a little peek at our new neighbours, but my measly height lets me down and I only get a glimpse at the stairs.
I spot Audrey's car speeding noisily down the previously silent street and cringe as her tyres squeal as she rapidly hits the breaks. Her bright blue Toyota isn't so bright under the dirt of her car- come to think of it, it isn't so blue either. As I get in and buckle my seat belt I say, "Your car seriously needs to be cleaned."

Audrey looks at me, raising one perfectly shaped eye brow. "Love," she begins, "You know the rule: no car wash until someone requests it." I roll my eyes as Audrey starts to drive again. When Audrey first got her car, she was so obsessive about cleaning it, she would barely drive it because it would get dirty. Then, after being teased by her older brother- Tom- she vowed she wouldn't clean it unless someone- who didn't know about said vow- came up to her and specifically said her car needed a wash. Weird? Yes, but that's Audrey for you.

As we speed into the school parking lot, we receive our daily morning death threats as Audrey nearly runs over half of our classmates. Half way to our lockers I stop dead in my tracks. "No." I say in disbelief.

Audrey stops too and asks, "What's wrong?"

"I cannot believe this, I forgot my history paper."

"Oh crap, Thompson will butcher if you show up without it."

"I know, I know," is say, biting my lip, trying to come up with a plan. "Okay, gimme' your car keys, I'm gonna' quickly head home, grab it and come back." And hopefully not break too many traffic laws on my way, I think to myself.

In the time it takes me to drive home, grab my paper, fall on my face in the front yard and drive back to school, I've already missed fifteen minutes of my first period.
Thankfully, I only live a few minutes away. I speedily lock Audrey's car and sprint through the front doors of the school. I'm mid sprint when I hear my phone ding with a text from Audrey asking how much longer I'm going to be, when I hit something, hard. I fall on my but dropping everything in my hands and losing my glasses. Maybe today was a contact lenses day afterall. I fumble around blindly in an attempt to find my glasses, "Now I feel bad for laughing at Velma all those times," I mutter to myself.

A deep laugh interrupts my searching and I squint up at the person standing in front of me. I try to make out their face until I realise that they're holding out my glasses for me. I take my glasses and quickly shove them on and proceed to pick up all my things. I hesitantly pick up my over turned phone, praying the screen isn't cracked. I turn it over and see that it's fine and let out a sigh of relief.

"You got lucky, Jane Doe," the deep voice startles me and I jump.

"Damn, I forgot you were standing there," I say looking up at the stranger. Wait, correction- extremely attractive stranger. I look him up and down, everything about him reeks of 'bad boy'- he is dressed in grey skinny jeans, tucked into a pair of mean looking biker boots. A simple while t- shirt is hidden for the most part under a heavy black leather jacket. He's tall, at least 5.11". Dark hair, long at the top and styled into a pompadour. I cringe a little when I see that his right ear is pierced with a simple black stud, I don't even have my ears pierced, I think, snickering a little. His face is long- he has a broad, defined jaw, luscious lips- can a boys lips be luscious? I blush at the thought and shake my head. Finally, his eyes- they're an electric cobalt blue. Are they allowed to be that blue?

"Are what allowed to be that blue?" the stranger questions me with an amused look on his face.
I feel my whole body heat as it blushes at the realisation of what I've just said out loud. The boy is still staring at me, his stupid, sexy face still amused.
Okay, already got myself into this one, might as well carry on. "Your eyes," I say, motioning to face with the paper in my hand, "Are you wearing contacts lenses?"

The boy lets out a short laugh and says, "No, Jane, I'm not."

"Why are you calling me Jane?" I ask, confused.

He motions to my 'Hello, My name is Jane Doe' jumper. I laugh and say, "My name isn't actually Jane, you know?"

"I know," the boy says nodding.

I nod, mirroring his actions.

"Are you going to tell me what your real name is?" he asks.

I tap my chin, pretending to think about it, "Nope," I say, walking away.

I sling my back pack over my shoulder and smile at myself, "See ya' around Jane Doe," I hear as I turn the corner at the end of the hallway.

I'm still smiling as I walk into history, paying barely any attention as Mr Thompson scolds me for being twenty minutes late.
-
What do you guys think of Daniel? Tell me in the comments!
Vote/Share/Comment if you like :D
xx EE