Chapter 8

Chapter 8

When I get home later on, I'm tired and nauseous from the car ride- Audrey was in a rush to get home; some kind of lipstick emergency.

I undid the buckles on my shoes in Audrey's car so I wouldn't have to bend down when I got home, so as soon as I walk through the front door, I kick my shoes off and drag myself up the stairs. As soon as I see my bedroom door, I begin to unbutton my skinny jeans and nearly cry from exhaustion and frustration when I have to drag them off of my legs. Finally, I pull my sweater off over my head and dive into my cool sheets in my underwear. All I remember before falling asleep is pulling the covers up and my glasses off, throwing them somewhere to my right.

When I wake up, I'm groggy and sporting a pretty bad migraine. The pain reverberates through my skull and down into my jaw. I grit my teeth and search for my phone among my sheets. I find it easily due to the lit screen, as I bring it closer to my face I realise it's lit up because I'm receiving a phone call from my mother. I answer the phone with an incoherent grumble, still half asleep and barely register what my mother is saying.

"Lexi, are you away honey?" she asks.

"No, I answered the phone in my sleep," I reply dryly, struggling to keep my eyes open.

"Funny," she says, "Well get up and come down, Daniel is here, its six thirty."

Why is she making conversation when all I want to do is sleep?

"Just send him up."

"Okay, but make sure you keep the door to your room open."

"Yeah, okay, bye," I say before hanging up and dropping my phone on the pillow beside me, snuggling further into my bed.

I'm just about to fall back to sleep, resuming my blissful nap when I'm interrupted by a deep chuckle. Like a bucket of ice water over my head, that laugh jolts me awake and I shoot up in my bed, only now registering the conversation I just had with my mom. "Shit!"

"Shit indeed," I hear Daniel say as he continues to laugh hysterically. It's a damn good thing I'm half blind right now, otherwise I would've pinned the stupid boy with a death glare by now.

I look around my dim room- the only light coming from the fairy lights around my bed- and search for my glasses, then I realise I'm sitting in my bed in nothing but my underwear. I feel every inch of skin flush a bright red, immensely thankful for my sheets covering me and the room's dim lighting.

Daniel's still laughing.

I'm still half naked and blushing.

And blind.

Half naked, blushing and blind.

My embarrassment turns to annoyance. "Stop laughing and help me find my damn glasses," I order.

Daniel throws what I assume is his jacket on my bed and reaches over my (half naked!) body. I didn't know it was possible for my skin to flush any further than it already had, but lo and behold, I grew hotter and redder than a hot poker. The close proximity allowed me to take Daniels profile in in picture perfect clarity. His before smooth skin now softly stubbed with minute black hairs. His unruly hair tickling my cheeks. His scent hitting me like a bat to a ball; heady, masculine, both spicy and fresh.

He's gone before I can fully take him in. I'm glad though, because with the amount of heat radiating off of my body right now, I'm pretty sure I could have eventually burnt him. And I'm almost positive he'd prefer the nickname 'new meat' over 'burnt meat'.

I'm pulled out of my mind- images of a pink skinned Daniel forcing a smile onto my face. I take the glasses Daniel holds out for me and put them on.