Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The next morning, I surprisingly wake up before my alarm. Might as well make an effort today, seeing as I have time, I think to myself as I trudge over to my bathroom to start getting ready.
Half an hour later, my hair is curled, my face make-upped and my nails are painted an electric blue. This is almost the exact same shade as Daniel's eyes, I think to myself as I watch my nails dry. Oh god, why the hell am I thinking about Daniel's eyes? I mentally reprimand myself and walk over to my closet. Looking out the window to check the weather, I smile as I see the sun shining bright and pick out a pair of denim shorts. I stick on a black crop top and tie a black plaid shirt around my waist- in case it gets chilly later on. Completing the look with my dark red Converse, I grab my black leather backpack and make my way downstairs.
"Good morning," my mother says from behind the breakfast bar.
"Morning," I reply, grabbing a bowl and pouring myself some cereal.
Mom turns around and takes the cereal from in front of me and replaces it back in the cupboard. "Don't you look pretty today," she says smiling.
I scrunch my nose up and look down at my cereal, "Yeah, I woke up early, couldn't sleep. Thought I'd try to look a little human for once."
Mom comes around the breakfast bar and puts her arm around me, "Well, you look like a very pretty human," she says, placing a kiss on my head.
"Thanks mom. You're a pretty human too," I say.
"Me too," dad chimes in, walking toward the coffee maker.
We all chuckle lightly, "Yeah, you too dad."
Lissa isn't down yet, her school starts a little later than mine, so she gets to wake up later. Oh how I wish I could be seven years old again.
I fish my phone out of my back pocket when it vibrates. I'm here, reads Audrey's text. That girls going to have an accident one day if she doesn't stop texting and driving.
As I walk out of the kitchen, I suddenly remember yesterday night's dinner. After I sat silently with our families while we ate dessert, I managed to not make any eye contact with Daniel- my previous bravery during dinner having disappeared.
"When I get home, we seriously have to talk about this whole 'being tutored by the Kepler kid' thing," I say to my parents before I leave.
I don't wait for them to reply before I leave; I know Audrey will most probably kick up a storm with her car horn if I keep her waiting.
When Audrey arrives, she pulls up and slowly rolls down the passenger side window. Pushing her sunglasses down her nose, she cocks her eye brows and says, "Hey, Sexy Lady, you and those legs wanna' hop in, I'll take you on the ride of your life." She licks her lips and winks at me.
Rolling my eyes, I open the grimy passenger's side door and plomp myself beside her.
"Is that the pick- up line you used on Adam?" I ask as she speeds off.
Audrey rolls the window back up and says, "Naa. However, his legs are hot; all strong and muscular. Especially when he-"
My eyes nearly pop out of my head, I rush to cut her off. "Stop! Hell no, I don't need any details about your sexcapades," I quickly say.
Audrey bursts out laughing and my heart lurches when the car swerves slightly to the left. I grab onto the steering wheel and manoeuvre us back into the right lane. Audrey recovers from her laughing fit and takes over the wheel again.
"You're going to get us fucking killed one day!" I shout, my heart beat slowly returning back to normal, "You're lucky I live in the quiet end of town."
"First," Audrey says, holding up her index finger, "Sexcapades," she says, giggling to herself, "Love it."
I turn to Audrey, whose thankfully concentrating on the road and not me and glare daggers at the side of her head.
"Second," she carries on, lifting another finger, "You live in a gated community, darling. There was no way I would have hit anything."
I scoff and gesture toward our surroundings, "Trees, sidewalks, fire hydrants, children," I say, pointing to each thing as we them on the road, "There are more than enough things that you can crash into."
"But I didn't!" she protests, "Darling, have some faith in me. Plus, if you're so opposed to my driving, buy a damn car already. That way you can drive both our asses to school."
She does have a point. Audrey and I both got out licences on the same day. While Audrey inherited Tom- her older brother's car, I was meant to go shopping for a brand new one. We were so excited about Audrey's bright blue Toyota that we drove all over town, windows down, music blaring that I had forgotten about my own car. Plus, what was the point in driving around alone when driving with your best friend is so much more fun?
In regards to my own car- long story short, I'm still yet to find my perfect dream car. I know I want something big, black and chunky, I just can't be bothered to actually look for one. Plus, this way, I have my own personal driver. I pay for all of the Toyota's fuel and in return, Audrey drives the two of us everywhere.
So far, our arrangement hasn't presented any problems. I only ever go out with Audrey and Adam and our small group of friends, or my family. I know, it sounds sad, but I'm not exactly a social butterfly. I'm friends with pretty much everyone in the senior class, but Audrey, Adam and I have been best friends since we were kids.
The three of us have been inseparable since we all grew up on the same street when we were kids.
Adam and Audrey grew closer and closer when I moved uptown as my dad steadily started earning more and more; but we all easily stayed as a three person unit.
After years of beating around the bush and tense awkward moments- and one very intense kiss between Audrey and Adam, Audrey finally demanded that Adam be her boyfriend in the cafeteria one day.
It was the funniest thing ever. The two had kissed during a barbeque at my house and Audrey had ran up to me and dragged me off- rather painfully by the arm, might I add- and told me everything. When I asked if she liked Adam, she rolled her eyes, clapped me upside my head and said, "Of course I do." The she shifted and crossed her arms over her chest, "But I don't know if the idiot likes me," she said Shyly- yes, Audrey, shy! "He practically shoved me against the side of the house, kissed me senseless, then apologised and walked away!" I winced from the detail and laughed at Adam's sudden moment of bravery.
As soon as we returned to the barbeque and Audrey went off to get some food, Adam grabbed me by the arm and dragged me over to the kitchen. I had to try so hard not to laugh at the evident embarrassment radiating off of him. "What's up?" I asked, trying to be casual.
"What's up?!" he exclaimed, "What up is that I just did the biggest dickhead thing ever!" Adam's face flushes a deeper shade of red as he rakes his hands through his blonde skater boy hair.
"Okay, okay, calm down dude," I say, planting my hands on his shoulders. "What did you do?"
Adam rubbed the back of his neck and mumbled something incoherent, his head bobbing down.
"Dude, I can't hear you," I say, grinning around my words.
Adam lets out an exasperated breath and shouts, "I kissed Audrey!"
I feign surprise, "What?"
"That's not the bad part," he says, rubbing his hands down his face, "I... err, kinda... said sorry. Then, I... urm," at that point, I was so glad Adam's head was hung in embarrassment, or he would have seen my shit eating grin.
"You what?" I manage to say without laughing.
"I ran away," I feel Adams angry eyes burning holes through my head as I double over laughing.
After that, I asked Adam if he actually liked Audrey and he admitted to liking her for a while. I stopped him before he went into detail of everything he liked about her- I love my friends, but not that much, there's only so much cheese my stomach can handle.
The following week that followed was one of the funniest I had ever experienced. Both Adam and Audrey had admitted their feeling to me, but refused to tell each other. I had decided not to meddle and let the situation play out- both for their benefit and my own entertainment.
On the Friday after the barbeque, after a week of awkward conversation and Adam squealing every time either the barbeque or Audrey were so much as mentioned- Audrey had had enough.
Audrey and I were sat at our usual cafeteria table with a few of our other friends. Adam had a quiz in the previous lesson, so he had been late to lunch. Audrey had been busy glaring daggers at her food, so she couldn't see the grins on the faces of all of her friends as Adam came to sit. I asked Adam about his quiz and he mumbled something incoherent in reply.
Adam asked if I had his calculator- but I'd bet any amount of money he remembered lending it to Audrey last Friday after math class.
"That's it!" Audrey said, slamming her fork down.
Everyone at the table's grins grew wider as Adam jumped slightly in surprise. "Firstly, I have your damn calculator," she said, her hands clenched into fists at her sides. "I'll give it to you after lunch," she added as an afterthought. "Second," she stood up and came to stand in front of Adam, who was sitting across from me. Pointing her finger in his adorably terrified face she asked, "Do you friggin' like me or not?"
Adam visibly gulped and nodded. Audrey let out a breath and relaxed, a grin spreading across her face, "Good," she said, walking around the rectangular table and over to a chocked Adam; a smirk on her face.
Without asking, or caring about where she was and who was watching, she grabbed Adam by the collar of his letterman jacket and pulled him up. "Adam?"
"Yeah?" he asked back, still shocked. By now, half of the cafeteria was watching the couple and smiling just as wide as we were.
"Kiss me," she demanded sweetly.
Suddenly, all of Adam's shyness, embarrassment and hesitation disappeared. He grabbed her by the waist, cupped her face and kissed her like they were the only two people in the cafeteria.
That day, they broke the record for the longest kiss ever held in the cafeteria, not even stopping when the whole cafeteria broke out into cheers and wolf whistles.
When they were done, Adam simply pecked Audrey on the cheek sweetly and the two sat back down, grinning down at their entwined hands. Since that day, they've sat at the exact same table, in the exact same seats every day for lunch.
I sat there, smiling widely at my two loved- up best friends and silently hoped for a relationship like theirs one day.