A Love Like War (Jack's POV)

That was kind of funny when Alex and I kept saying the same thing over and over. We tend to do that a lot, actually. He told me to go first, so I did, and I asked him if I could talk to him alone. He agreed, which is great.

I wonder if he knows what I want to talk to him about...

I definitely know what I want to talk to him about. I want to talk to him about the dare that Rian and Zack had us do back at my house. Afterwards, Alex suddenly left my house, saying something about his mom needing him home for something. I was just kind of left there alone, sitting on my bed while Rian and Zsck died of laughter beside me on the floor.

But there's something they didn't know, something I didn't even know until Alex had left.

I REALLY liked that kiss. AND I didn't want it to end,

I hadn't thought about ever kissing Alex before, let alone it obviously happening, but when Rian said that we should kiss, I froze. Sure, Alex is a great - AMAZING - looking guy, but it just never occured to me.

Until those words left Rian's lips.

And once Alex got up and walked over to me, I almost ran. I wanted too, but my legs and feet wouldn't move. I WAS literally frozen. Then Alex leaned down. He leaned down to kiss ME. Maybe he'd thought about it before, maybe he hadn't. I don't know. But all I know is that when our lips touched, nothing but sparks. My body went numb instantly, and it was the best five seconds of my life.

Can Alex say the same?

Well, that's what I intend to find out right now. I can only believe that he did and that's why he took off so suddenly; because he was scared of what he felt. But here Alex and I are now, walking up the stairs, trying not to interrupt the kids making out. It was the same upstairs as well; opening a door to a room, but finding kids either making out, undressing, or already fucking each others brains out. Quite a sight. We finally found a room, though, which is good.

"So, that was interesting," Alex said as he chuckled nervously.

"Amen to that," I said as I laughed.

"So, um, what'd you want to talk about?" he asked as he sipped his beer.

"Well," I said. "Um, about earlier today."

"What happened earlier?" he asked.

"Don't act like you don't know," I said as I chuckled a little.

"Seriously. I like don't remember anything after I blacked out at home," he said as he scrunched his nose, which indicated he was lying.

"You're lying," I said.

"No I'm not," he retorted.

"Yes you are. Your nose scrunched, and that only happens when you lie," I stated.

"Fuck," he whispered. "Well, what about earlier today then?"

"Why'd you run out right after?" I asked.

"Um, my mom needed me," he said, another nose scrunch. "She texted me a little while before that."

"You weren't on your phone at all before that," I stated. "And stop lying. You nose scrunched again."

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"So why?" I asked.

"I-I don't know," he said, and you guessed it, his nose scrunched.

"Yes you do," I said.

"No I don't," he retorted again.

"Yes, Alex, you do," I said.

"Fine! I do!" he said as he held his head in his hands.

"Then why?" I asked.

"Because," he said. "Because I'm afraid, Jack. I was afraid the second after Rian said that we should kiss. I was afraid when I got up. I was afraid when Ileaned down, and I was terrified when our lips touched. Why? Because I was afraid it'd be amazing, and was it? It was more than anything I'd ever experience before. It was the best kiss I'd ever had, Jack. And frankly, it scared me from how great it was. That's why I ran. I was afraid of falling in love. More than I already am."

"I-In love?" I asked. "More?"

"Yes," he said. "I've loved you since the day I met you. Your eyes were beautiful and you always made me laugh even when I didn't want to. As much as you might not want to hear it or whatever, I love you, Jack."

Did Alex really just say that? Alex. My best friend since forever. Is in love with me. Jack Barakat. This cannot be real, and if it's not, then this dream had better keep on going. Don't wake me. Please.

"A-Are you serious?" I asked.

"More than ever," he said as he looked at me, I swear on the verge of tears.

"Alex?" I asked.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"I-I, uhhm, love you too," I said.

Did I really just say that?

Yeah, I did.

Holy shit.

Well, it's true though. I've loved him forever now. Not since I first met him, but not too long after that. He's perfect. His eyes are amazing, his hair falls perfectly, his face is beautiful, and he's just.... Perfect. I know I just said that, but he is. More than perfect, actually. There's absolutely nothing I don't like about him. He's all around amazing and perfect.

"Y-You do?" Alex asked as he sat up and looked into my eyes.

"Yes," I said.

"I-I don't even know what t-to say," he said.

"Me either," I said as I chuckled. "But I know what to do."

"Oh?" he asked.

I smiled, then stood up. I walked over to him and leaned in slowly. I kissed him and it was amazing, perfect, special, graceful, and just about everything else. I don't want this to end.