Chapter 3 // The Wolves

Beaumont rested his back against a large oak tree. He let out a long sigh of relief as he stared at Villeneuve.

"I've got so much more than they've got planned." He said aloud, pulling his guitar to his lap. As he began playing, a passive smile stretched across Beaumont's face.

The guitar was the only thing he and his mother had left of his father. Marie explained to Beaumont that his father was an inventor. Many thought he was just some madman, but his creations were incredible. In fact, he was such a great inventor, that the guitar possessed by Beaumont was the first of its kind. No blueprints, writings, photos; it's almost like he was all made up. Just some tale Marie told Beaumont as a child to get him to fall asleep.

Beaumont wasn't much of a carpenter, but he did take on woodworking as one of his many odd jobs in town. The newly found skill was what keeps his home standing strong and why his guitar still plays. The chipped instrument was his most prized possession after all, but it's so old that the wood was fading and crumbling to pieces.

The aspiring musician played the notes slow and meticulously. Beaumont was self taught, but that didn't thwart his impeccable skill. Ever since he was a young boy, he could decipher music from any musical instrument just by sound alone. He would listen to viola lessons from his small cottage, picking up the chords and melody with ease. A true prodigy, but with no luck of being discovered. All Beaumont ever dreamed of was leaving this small, quiet town for Paris. He wanted to share his music with the world, but that dream had to be put aside. Marie was all he cared about. She was his whole world. Beaumont has been noticing his mothers appearance becoming gray. She was once a vibrant and lively French girl, but as years and years of relentless labor passed by, the color began to fade. Beaumont does all he can to make ends meet, which means taking the winter supply run on his own.

Beaumont quietly hummed along with his guitar. This quiet moment with his music was truly an escape from the world.

A mysterious rustle from the tree line caught Beaumont's attention. He set his guitar down and glanced behind him hesitantly.

"Oh no..."

Adrenaline flooded his bloodstream when he saw three men approaching him. They were like wolves with their bloodthirsty eyes locked with Beaumonts. He quickly grabbed his belongings and hid behind the large oak tree.

The leader of the pack called out to him, "Beaumont! Now don't be so cruel to us! We only want to chat!"

The other two men laughed menacingly behind their alpha. Edon and his brothers were the cruelest men in Villeneuve. They stole from the poor and never took piss from anyone. They called themselves the villages "true protectors". Edon was a brute, truly a giant among his scrawny siblings.

Beaumont made a break for it, but was caught by the shoulder and shoved to the ground. Edon scoffed, "You pathetic retch! Listen when you're spoken to!" The wolf-man looked at his surroundings with a sinister smirk upon his face, whilst taking a seat next to Beaumont, "So this is the place you run off to everyday." Edon wrapped his arm around him, "I've taken a special interest in you lately, boy. You see, the villagers seem to not take to you very well, and THAT bothers me. What makes you any better than the rest of us? You run off to play your trash everyday, not even bothering with the other villagers. Are we not good enough for you?"

Beaumont broke from the wolf's clutches and stood up quickly, "Leave me be, Edon. I only like to keep to myself. That's all!"

"Bullshit, boy! There's something off about you and I want to know what that is!" Edon stood up and pursued Beaumont slowly, "How is it that you can have any girl in this village, but there's never been word of you with another woman?" He growled, "In fact, the lovely Gabrielle has taken a special interest in you and you don't even beet an eye. Any other man would fall to her feet praising her!" Edon looked at his brothers and laughed, "Come to think of it... who's to say he prefers woman at all!"

Beaumont steps further back, his face flustered, "Y-you're wrong, Edon! I only like to keep to myself! THAT. IS. ALL." Beaumont felt a thick branch under his foot, already putting together his escape plan.

"I have a keen instinct, boy. I can sense it!" Edon sneered and stared at Beaumont coldly, "You partake in sodomy, don't you!?"

"No I most certainly do not!" Beaumont's face becomes flushed, "Stop making these accusations!"

Edon turned to his brothers and motioned his head towards Beaumont. The two scrawny men lunged for Beaumont, but he quickly retrieved the branch. He swung it in front of him, making contact with both brother's heads. They flopped to the ground, and Beaumont held his position, branch raised high, "Now I told you to leave me be, Edon, or so help me, you'll be next." Beaumont knew this was bold, but he knew his father would never stand for this.

Edon stood poised, he looked over at Beaumont's guitar.

"Don't you dare touch that!" Before Beaumont could take a single step, Edon picked up the old instrument with one swipe. In a flash, he swung the guitar, striking Beaumont's face.

Darkness enveloped Beaumont's once peaceful world.