Chapter 18 // A Musician's Reunion

Beaumont spent most of his time in that dusty, little shack. For several weeks, he worked endlessly on his guitar.

Adam kept just as busy around the castle. Wherever he was needed, he went, and when he wasn't, he was with Beaumont.

They were completely inseparable.

It was a very long process building the guitar. Beaumont had to experiment with several kinds of wood, which Adam had no issue lugging and chopping for him. He wasn't an expert by any means in carpentry. All he ever knew how to do was repair basic structures due to his many odd jobs in Villeneuve. Unfortunately for him, there wasn't a job that taught the basics to making one of a kind instruments.

So when he wasn't working or became stuck on something, he studied in the library restlessly. Books like Carpentry Tools and Their Functions, The Method of a Carpenter, Anatomy of Trees, Woodcarving for Apprentices, Origin of Music, The Man and the Instrument, and all the like, cluttered the library's tables. 

Adam did his best to keep up with Beaumont's lessons in order to make his research easier when he wasn't around to help. Late at night, the two would be seen nestled by the fireplace flipping through each text Beaumont retrieved. It took some time and effort, but he was really getting the hang of reading. It was a new hobby he came to love.

Things were looking up for Marie also. Out of pure feminine dominance, she became the new head of the household. Not a day went by when there wasn't something being done around the castle. With her help and leadership, everything seemed to come back to it's old self. Besides the gargoyles, infinite snow, and a curse timing out; joy filled the castle and it's residents.

Things even started looking up for our dashing frenchman, Lumière. Out of endless hours of begging on his part, he convinced Marie to have dinner with him. 

Beaumont and Adam had to learn the hard way about their secret love affair. The sight of Marie and Lumière kissing by the fire still haunts their dreams. They promised each other to stay in the library after hours no matter what or suffer the consequences. 

Although initially it was a shock, Beaumont couldn't be happier for his dear mother.

There was rhythm and a sense of purpose now. The castle was lively once again.

🌹     🌹     🌹     🌹     🌹

It was late.

Beaumont sat inside his workshop putting the final touches on his guitar. The strings were the most challenging piece to the puzzle. Every book he read mentioned using animal guts for modern stringed instruments. Beaumont shuddered at the thought. So instead, he invented a new string made from nylon that produced a much better sound. Beaumont didn't dare tell anyone where he got it. Mrs. Potts would never forgive him for ripping apart the guest room curtains.

Beaumont shifted his gaze to the sky and smiled as he thought:

I hope you're proud of me father. I wish you could be here to see this.

He heard the door creaking open and caught his distraction. 

"Beaumont?"

It was Marie. She smiled at her son and carried two hot cups of tea on a tray.

Beaumont set his guitar down and retrieved the tray from Marie, placing a kiss on her cheek, "Why are you out here, mother? It's freezing."