Chapter 9 // Opening Up

"LUMIÈRE!" Cogsworth yelled as he walked quickly to his fellow servant's room, "Where is that damned fool!? LUMIÈRE!"

"What is it, Cogsworth?" Lumière came out of his room, comfortably in his nightgown.

Cogsworth, in a rage, pushed him against a wall, "What. Have. You. Done!?"

Lumière put on his famous poker face, "Whatsoever could you mean, mon amie?"

"Do not play these games with me, Lumière! Where's the boy?"

"The boy is gone?!"

Cogsworth scoffed, "As if you don't already know! He should be sound asleep right now, but what do I find when I walk into his room?"

There's a pause, Lumière looked side to side in a confused manner, "Nothing?"

"NOTHING! RIEN! A BARREN BED! DO YOU CARE TO EXPLAIN?"

"Okay... I can tell you're upset." Cogsworth glared at him. He immediately became defensive, "Listen, Cogsworth, what other choice did I have? It's been ten years! We have been trapped by a curse in this castle for far too long. Our time is running out, mon amie!" Cogsworth calmed down and walked away from Lumiere. He sighed and took a seat on the nearest chair, "Don't you want to leave here for once? Be able to walk past the gates without withering away? You do remember what happened to Maestro?"

Cogsworth thought back to that horrible day. Maestro's wife was on tour in Paris for her incredible opera singing. She was world-renowned and planned her next appearance at the Palais-Royal! The day after the enchantresses visit, he couldn't handle not being with her. It drove him mad as the sleepless nights of worry swept over him. Unfortunately, The Prince wasn't the only one effected by the curse. Maestro couldn't handle another day in insanity, so he left. But once he passed through the gates, he withered away to nothing.

No one can leave except The Prince unless he broke the curse, if not, the servants will be trapped in the castle for all eternity.

"...so where's the boy, Lumière?" Cogsworth looked up at him.

"The last time I saw him he was heading towards the West Wing."

His face went red again, "WHAT!?"

"Cogsworth, mon amie, please calm down!" Lumière placed his hands on Cogsworth's shoulders, "He has been up there for almost an hour. Either he has met the master...or...the master ate him." Cogsworth's eyes shoot open, "I'm only saying!"

Cogsworth blinked wildly, "W-well... should we go up there?"

Lumière thought for a moment. He became incredibly uneasy and said urgently, "Rapidement!"

They ran as fast as they could. As they approached the main staircase, they heard laughter coming from the fireplace. Confused and curious, they both approached the foyer quietly. To their surprise, Beaumont and their master sat on two chairs facing each other.

Cogsworth's jaw dropped and Lumière smiled; his plan was a success.

Cogsworth spoke up, still out of breath, "Master... what are you..." he coughed, "...doing out of... your room?"

The Prince and Beaumont turned to the servants, "Oh... Our guest requested my presence, so here I am." He said this flatly and with a smile. It took the two back to see such a rare expression on his face.