Chapter 15 // Temper Control

Beaumont knelt on the dirt road completely motionless. His face had drained of all color as he stared at Adam and the aftermath of his rage. It all happened so suddenly. The mental shock of the events paralyzed him in a trance. Watching Edon's brother being ripped apart by Adam and that roar of complete outrage he bellowed when the arrows dug into his body...it wasn't him. It was something more animal. Something untamed and wild. It was the Beast that prowled within him just waiting to be released.

Everything was silent, then the rain came.

The lingering smell of blood coated the air. It's stench hit Beaumont full on, jolting him back to reality. He shook away the visions and fixated his gaze on the helpless mass lying in a fresh pool of his own blood.

"Oh god... ADAM!" Beaumont gasped, and without further hesitation ran to his side.

He knelt beside him and looked over his wounds. Beaumont began shaking as he took in his surroundings. It was just him, an unconscious Edon who could wake up at any moment, and a mortally wounded beast.

Beaumont was now trembling at how severe the situation had become

What am I going to do?... Adam's going to die...

Beaumont went back to Adam's wounds and analyzed them up close. They were miraculously beginning to heal at a rapid rate. Beaumont couldn't quite believe it, a glimmer of hope swept over him and drove him forward.

I can do this...I can do this!

There was an arrow in Adam's right thigh and his left shoulder. Beaumont put his ear on to his beastly and blood-soaked chest, listening closely for a heartbeat.

It was fast, but slowing down quickly.

Beaumont hesitated no further and sprung into action. He took off his cloak and ripped several strands from it.

He crawled over to Adam's thigh and looked up at him apologetically, "Sorry, Adam. This is going to hurt."

Beaumont gripped the arrow, and with one quick tug, yanked it out. Adam's eyes shot open in an instant and let out a loud, agonizing howl. He lashed out, his claws barely missing Beaumont's arm.

Beaumont quickly backed off and grabbed a torn piece of cloth. He dressed the wound rapidly, trying his best to keep Adams squirming leg still. After a moment of excruciating pain, Adam passed out.

After several layers of cloth, Beaumont successfully stopped the bleeding in Adam's thigh. He sighed with relief and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

He shuddered as he looked at the arrow in Adam's shoulder. He was panting heavily and his heart rate was beating much faster now.

I don't think he can handle another extraction...I have to get him back now... but how?

As if by some miracle, a thunder of quickly paced hooves and carriage wheels was approaching from the distance. Warrior-like yells echoed throughout the forest as Marie whipped around the corner, hurdling towards Beaumont. She pulled at the reigns and came to a complete stop.

Marie gasped in complete horror at the scene in front of her, hesitating from leaving the carriage. She shuddered and turned away from the dead brother, quickly shifting her gaze to Beaumont. He was kneeling in front of a comatose Adam. Blood and mud coated his face and arms, no longer resembling her sweet and loving boy from only moments ago. Instead, he was desperate and completely drained of life.