Chapter 20 // Like Father Like Son

Marie sat in the dining room, nervously biting her cuticles. A loud slam and claws pounding on the marble floors made her jump from her chair. She ran to the foyer and saw Adam sprinting up the staircase to the West Wing. Marie gasped and ran outside toward the carpenter's shack.

Outside, her heart shattered when she saw Beaumont knelt in the snow staring at the ground. Marie fumbled to his side and held him close against her.

"Oh, my love... what happened?" She consoled.

Tears trickled down Beaumont's face onto the snow. He sniffled and shook his head, "He read my journal." He replied quietly.

Marie rubbed his back gently. Words couldn't mend how he was feeling at the moment. If the curse not being broken wasn't rejection enough, this topped it all. 

He lost his best friend.

Beaumont stood up slowly. Marie was confused and grabbed his arm quickly, "What are you doing?"

"I-I need to talk to him..." He stammered.

"Beaumont no! What if he loses control? He could hurt you!"

Beaumont wiped his face and started walking toward the castle, "Adam would never hurt me, mother."

Marie followed Beaumont and begged, "At least give him some time, Beaumont. For me."

He stopped and sighed, "Alright..." Beaumont turned to her, his face red from his tears.

Marie immediately hugged him, "I'm so sorry, my love."

The two made their way back inside, away from the cold. As they reached the interior, Lumière, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, and even little Chip rushed over to Beaumont with worried expressions; all still in their nightgowns.

"What happened?"

"Are you alright, deary?"

"Mon amie, is everything alright?"

The questions came flooding in. Beaumont was so overwhelmed he wanted to vomit. The pressure was too much for him, so he walked past all of the concerned servants and made his way to the fireplace.

Marie sighed watching Beaumont depart from them. All the servants huddled around her and began demanding an answer.

"Will you all calm down! Please!" She ordered. Marie took a deep breath and explained, "Thank you... Beaumont and Adam had a bit of a falling out is all." All their faces went from concern to devastation.

"Whatsoever could you mean, Marie?" Cogsworth asked.

"Everything will be fine. Just tend to your master as he wishes." Marie turned to Mrs. Potts, "We must talk privately."

Mrs. Potts nodded with a frown. She knew precisely what this was about. Lumière and Cogsworth took the hint and departed from them.

"Now Chip, why don't you run along and help Lumière and Cogsworth prepare breakfast."

Chip smiled and ran off toward the kitchen. Completely oblivious to the situation.

Mrs. Potts sighed and took a seat, "What happened?"

Marie pulled up a chair and took a moment to pull her thoughts together. She began to explain more precisely, "Beaumont kept a journal. It's where he likes to keep his personal thoughts and such." Mrs. Potts nodded, listening intently, "Adam must have been curious and took a peak inside. I'm guessing the new realization that Beaumont loves him didn't sit too well."

"Master has always been stubborn. You can blame his father for that."

Marie became curious and asked, "His father? What do you mean?"

"Before the plague took both of his parents. Poor boy." She sighed remembering that fateful day, "Adam's father was ruthless. He beat him. Abused him. All the love he ever felt was from his mother, but his father locked her away."

"That's terrible... Could no one help him?"

"We tried so hard, but we abided by the King. If we disobeyed, there would be consequences."

"Oh my..." Marie stood up and turned away from Mrs. Potts.

"Adam became his father." She continued, "That wicked King shaped that poor boy into who he was."

Marie turned to Mrs. Potts, "I don't understand."

"After the Enchantress placed the curse on the castle, he changed. He secluded himself up in his room and only allowed Cogsworth to speak with him." Mrs. Potts smiled reassuringly, "When your boy came, he changed him dramatically."

Marie smiled and returned to her seat, "That's my Beaumont."

"I actually thought this could work, but Adam is just so stubborn." She sighed, "He probably has no idea what he's feeling right now. That's why he's so upset."

"That was my thought." Marie bit her lip and shook her head frustratingly, "What about the dinner?"

"At this point, I don't know if Adam will even leave his room. Let alone be with your son."

"It's your last chance, Mrs. Potts. The castle will be cursed for all eternity if we don't act now."

"Adam turns 28 in just three days. We don't have any other choice."

Marie nodded and rose from her chair, "I'm going to check on Beaumont."

Mrs. Potts bowed her head. Marie placed her hand upon hers and consoled, "This will work, Mrs. Potts. It must." They smiled at each other, then Marie took her leave. 

She made her way to the fireplace and found Beaumont slouched in the velvet armchair. She frowned and caressed his shoulder as she passed by him.

"Is it me, mother? Am I at fault here?" He said desperately.

Marie sighed and slumped in the armchair across from him. She leaned forward and asked, "Did Adam ever tell you about his father?"

Beaumont shook his head and said, "No he didn't. The topic made him uncomfortable."

"Mrs. Potts explained to me that the reason Adam may be acting like this is due to how his father raised him. He was very cruel and unrelenting to him, Beaumont. It's not that he doesn't love you, he just doesn't understand what love is. Adam never felt this way before. You need to help him understand."

Beaumont looked over at the fire, "I thought I was."

Marie moved to his side and rubbed his shoulder, "I promised you things would work out between you two. You have to trust me, Beaumont."

Beaumont half-smiled up at her, "I do. Thank you, mother." He stood up from his chair and  fixed his coat, "I'm going up there, mother. Maybe I can get him to talk to me."

"Alright, my love. Please be careful."

"I will." Beaumont began his ascent to the West Wing.