Chapter 4 // A Mother's Touch

Beaumont regained consciousness. He rose slowly from the grass and immediately felt sharp pains coming from the side of his head, he winced when he touched it. It was dark out, but he could tell by the warm liquid on his fingers that he was bleeding, badly. Attempting to stand led to failure, the bash to his head wasn't the only blow received. It seemed a couple of kicks to Beaumont's rib cage was the finishing mark left by Edon.

The beaten young man mustered up enough strength to stand. He took a few steps forward and heard a dreaded sound come from his foot. Beaumont looked to down to find his father's guitar shattered in a million pieces. His true escape, his true love; gone forever, beyond repair. Beaumont fell to his knees and held several pieces in his hands, letting them fall through his fingers. Looking up to the sky, he attempted to hold back the tears, but they came flowing. Beaumont wiped his eyes and stood back up with a wince.

"Mother must be so worried... I have to get back to her."

After a long, painful trek home to his little cottage, Beaumont noticed candles were still lit within. He walked through the door with a hobble and Marie shot up from her chair with her hands on her hips.

"Now what did I say? I told you to—" Marie saw the blood and bruises covering her dear boy. Her hands shot up to her mouth as she gasped. Marie rushed to his side and helped him sit down, "What happened to you?! Who did this?"

"I'm so sorry for being late, mother. It will never—" Marie covered Beaumont's mouth, hushing him.

"I will not hear any of that! Tell me what happened." She tended to his wounds, Beaumont grimaced as she did this.

"I fell down. Ouch!" She apologized, Beaumont took a breath, "It was pretty bad."

"Beaumont... I can tell you're lying. What happened, my love?"

"I swear mother! I fell down and hit—"

"Please, Beaumont!" Marie cried out. She held onto her boys shoulders, tears were rushing down her face, "Please tell me who did this!"

Beaumont looked at his mother dreadfully and mumbled, "Edon and his brothers pursued me... They attacked me." Beaumont stared at the floor, " The next thing I remember is waking up."

"But why you? You're such a sweet and kind young man. Why would anyone treat you so horribly?" Marie wrapped Beaumont's head with dressings.

"I'm different... they don't take to that too kindly I guess."

Marie shook her head in disbelief, "That's why they did this to you? Because your different? Those savages left you to die just because you're different?"

"Yes!" Beaumont's face was welling up with tears, "Mother... they destroyed father's guitar." He buried his face into his mothers chest, and sobbed uncontrollably, "Why? Why does everyone despise me?"

She rubbed his back gently. Her heart shattered to see her son like this, but just like any mother, she always knew what to say, "It's because they fear you. You're father had that exact effect on people."

Beaumont looked up at his dear mother, and with a sniffle said, "Really?"

"Of course, my love. That is the one thing they will never take away from you. They can destroy your guitar, take away your dignity, but they will never destroy who you are."

Beaumont embraced his mother, no words needed to be said. Marie held him tightly.

After quite awhile, Marie departed from her son, "Get some rest now, my love. I will tell Monsieur Levi you won't be making it to work in the morning."

Beaumont smiled and said quietly, "Thank you."

Marie returned the smile and walked towards her room. Just before she could leave, Beaumont blurted out, "Mother!"

"Yes, Beaumont?"

"There's something else."

Marie tilted her head curiously. "What is it, my love."

Beaumont inhaled deeply and let out a shaken exhale. "I've had this... feeling I guess. For a long time now. I can't explain it, but god I wish I could."

"What is it, Beaumont? You're scaring me."

Beaumont knew he couldn't turn back now. He was already too far, but ever too close to relief. "Edon and his brothers didn't gang up on me just because I'm different. They had their...reasons I guess."

Marie nodded slowly, trying her best to understand.

"I don't like women..."

Marie scoffed, "And what exactly do you mean by that, Beaumont? You're not making sense."

"I'm attracted to men, okay!"

Marie stood by the doorway and paused for a second. The silence was killing Beaumont as his heart beating quicker and quicker. Like it would explode any moment. She smiled warmly and walked into her room.

"Oh! I already knew that, my love. Sweet dreams."