Chapter 12 // Nightcrawlers

Night fell across the forest.

Beaumont and Adam made it past the relentless snow drifts into a normal August night, but it was still bitterly cold.

Adam held a pleased grin on his face, soaking in the Autumn weather. It was the first time he saw fresh grass in a long time.

Unlike him, Beaumont sat hunched over, shivering profusely. Not only was he cold, but he was scared to death to return. The thoughts of what Edon was planning next flooded his mind.

Adam looked over at Beaumont and frowned. He expected the happy, go lucky Beaumont he came to know, but was greeted by what Beaumont hid underneath all that joy: utter fear. He immediately took off his cloak and said softly, "Here...take my cloak." In one swoop, Adam brought the cloak over Beaumont and asked hopefully, "Better?"

"No... n-not r-r-really..." Beaumont frowned, feeling bad for sounding rude.

Adam scratched the back of his neck, his concern shifting to desperation. He gave up and let out a defeated sigh, "I don't know what to do for you, Beaumont. Can I do anything to help you feel better?"

"C-can you s-sit closer to me?" Beaumont blushed, bowing his head in embarrassment as he continued, "I-I-I know you d-don't like it. The c-c-contact and a-all."

"Oh...um..."

"P-please." He pleaded, "N-no one h-has to know." Beaumont was so cold and frightened, he was desperate for it.

Adam became flustered, "I... um... guess I can do that." He scooted over to Beaumont shyly, putting his massive arm around him.

Beaumont sighed happily and smiled. He was immediately relieved from the cold; the thoughts of Edon slowly slipping away as he buried himself in Adam's thick coat. As his anxiety faded, so did his will to stay awake. In a matter of seconds, Beaumont drifted to sleep.

Adam shifted around nervously, stammering as he held a limp Beaumont in his arms. When he looked down at him and saw how calm he was, Adam's pleased smile returned. He relaxed and shook his head, chuckling softly as he went back to watching the treeline.

🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹      🌹

"Beaumont wake up." Adam said gently.

He was still fast asleep.

Adam became frustrated and said louder, "Beaumont!"

Beaumont woke up with a jolt, blinking wildly as he took in his surroundings. The outskirts of Villeneuve were just in sight. He sighed and frowned as he looked upon his village.

Warmth overwhelmed Beaumont. He immediately became flustered, realizing he was still nestled next to Adam. He blushed wildly and slowly looked up at him, asking nervously, "Did I?..."

Adam's ears folded back, becoming flustered as well. He tensed and looked away from Beaumont, stammering, "Y-yeah."

Beaumont maneuvered himself away from Adam and apologized.

The two sat apart from each other in an awkward silence. They were blushing profusely, but a faint smile hid behind both faces.

Beaumont sighed nervously as they came to a stop at the outskirts of the small village. He selfishly wished he was still next to Adam, safely tucked in his arms, but it was time to take action. They exited the carriage, the horses huffed with relief when Adam came off. Beaumont gasped at their reaction and turned to him expecting the worst. By his surprise, Adam was shaking his head, laughing softly.