Chapter Twenty-One

(I love cursing for some reason.)

"Shit, fuck, shit, fuck, I screwed up!" I repeated, my feet racing through dead branches and torn leaves as I ducked and curved of every arm of the trees in my path. Being the impulsive person I am, I screw up a lot. Especially with money, but that's not the point!

        So, apparently this scary as fuck woods is much bigger than I thought. And I never realized how fast fire spreads.

        Just a small recap: woke up in God-knows-where and I found a lighter. Got no fucking clue how the lighter got there. It's just there and not in the box in the attic. So I lit it and dropped it.

        Grunting, I'm an idiot!

        I stopped, putting my hands on my knees and trying to catch my breath.

        Well, I was right on one thing, that it can become a wildfire. And it did. Sirens screeched as firefighter aircrafts were trying to put it out. I mean, this was no small wildfire. No, this is one agile fire that I just started.

        I stared at the smoky sky. It was at least half a mile away. And let me tell you, the wind is not helping whatsoever. Cause, I'm an idiot and decided to run this way where the wind was blowing. If I get caught, oh fuck, I'll be held as an arsonist. If they connect that with murder! Ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I need to start being optimistic for once.

        In the distance, where trees practically blocked everything and black smoke bellowed from it's dangerous source.

        All I can say is... Well, I absolutely fuck everything up. This is just a prime example.

        I looked forward where I intended to head. I had no idea where it led or anything. But, the helicopters that dumped water onto the agile fire came from that direction.

        Lurching forward, I started running again. Scrambling across the piles of leaves and curving trees again, I tried to sprint. 

        As I slowed down my pace to get out, I quickly started faster as I heard the sound of someone running behind me. Jerking my head around, I was met with a breathless and much taller person.

        "What happened?" He gasped, tilting his head back to breathe rather normally. Relief overflowed me.

       "I... I don't know!" I lied. "Toby, where does the woods end?" 

        He took half a minute before replying, "You're h-heading to it."

        "Okay. Where were you?" I asked, my eyes wide as I kept glancing over his shoulder at the colossal flames that were eating at the woods. I sincerely fucked up, haven't I?

        "Looking f-for you," Toby breathed, then staring at me. There was fear evident in his dark eyes. "I thought... I thought h-he took you."

        "He?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

        "N-never mind," he kept glancing around. "Alright, that way!" Without a second thought he grabbed a hold onto my wrist and we were running. I lost track of time and just kept looking at him while we ran. I couldn't help it. As I looked, I kept seeing the death of my father, then I would see this attractive being with Tourette's.

        I've never been so confused. In some way, I wanted to push him to the ground and do what he did to my father; other way I just wanted to... be near him? This better not be fucking Stockholm syndrome.