Chapter Thirty-One

(I was going to have this out earlier, but I fell asleep and now it's two O'clock at night=//)
The rain created a pitter-patter that drowned the thoughts of us. Pitter...Patter...Thud... The rain poured heavily down as the skies rumbled as it followed continuous flashes.
        My thoughts, mainly on Toby –who seemed to be sleeping–, were a erratic twister and nothing was calm. As a simple thing could be blown out of proportion. I worried that police are now looking for me, I worried that I was wanted now, yet, most thoughts focused on Toby. He blinded my clear thinking. It was like I wanted to talk to him, show him he had life, yet, I also wanted to turn my back and place all blame on him.
        Perhaps he had caused this, caused all of this, and yet, I'm right here wanting to talk to him and laugh. I silently chuckled, laugh with my father's murderer. As if he was watching me, I stared at the hole in the roof. "Sorry," I mouthed. I leaned back into the hard wall, holding myself as I had at one point –which I don't remember– lost my jacket.
        I glanced at Toby who sat against the wall, his head down and eyes shut with his arms crossed over his chest. His chestnut hair that went everywhere hanged over his eyes and his breathing was calm and relaxed.
        He looked so at peace. How does he do it? I rolled my eyes, knowing I probably won't be sleeping, purely from restlessness. So, I slowly got up and decided to explore this building. It was a small one-story building, but it had several small rooms that I have not yet seen. 
        What a coincidence that he just happen to be here. Or that it all happened right at a place where Toby was closer than anticipated. I can't tell if I'm happy to have found him, or mad. I sighed, walking out of the room and began a search around the place. A search for what? I don't exactly know. 
        There was several rooms, all small like the one Toby and I were lying in. As of know, I was imagining Toby dreaming. Nothing seemed to really disturb his sleep. I chuckled softly, I can never go around, murdering, and just fall asleep as a lamb. Even if I had never done what my hands have done, I never got good sleep! Not since that night the house burned down. The image of my father dying for me- it burdened me.
        I took a heavy sigh and kept looking around until I ended up at the broken door of the place. The door that was once hanged on hinges until I came along and broke it down, now stared at me like it was a gateway for something different. It was hard to explain, the feeling of the doorway. It was as if I were to walk through it, a whole new phase of life was waiting.
        A whole new phase of life. How dreamy, I can barely handle this phase enough as it is.
        Once I stepped out the door, the rain pelted down on me, soaking my shirt and dampening my hair. However, I wasn't mad how hesitant about having soaked clothing. The rain felt so satisfying against my skin! It was a wonderful feeling!
        And I stood, arms hanging by my side as I stared at the dark, grey thunderheads that casted lightning and thunder and a heavy downpour. I began smiling.
        "Y'know, I-it'll ruin you're clothes," I heard behind me. Glancing, somehow surprised, at Toby who stood at the doorway, his shoulder leaning against the side. I faced back at the thunderheads and kept my smile.
        "I know, sleepy head. "
        "Hey, I w-w-wasn't sleeping," he replied with a tic, his eyes gleamed with curiosity as he looked at me. 
        "Suurrrreeee," I slurred, rolling my eyes. 
        He huffed in response. 
        "So, where should we go after this?" I asked, forming my hands into a bowl-like shape to capture the rain. When he didn't reply, I asked again.
        "Oh! S-Sorry, umm... Hmmm... I don't exactly know," he told me.
        Then a thought came to mind, "What if... It.. Is watching us? Right now?"
        "Then I-it's watching us. Simple as that."
        "Can it kill us?"
        Toby seemed hesitant, "If it k-killed the officers, l-like you said, then m-most likely yes."
        "Hmm," I hummed then turned to look at Toby. "So, what do you think it is? This thing?"
        He bluntly responded, "Probably the devil." Just then he twitched his neck and his eyes darted to his right. Confused, I looked where he was looking. Yet, nothing was there, just towering trees and bushes. "We should g-g-g-" He mumbled about how he despised his stutter and began speaking again to me. "We should g-get going," he said almost in a hurry way.
        I sensed something wrong and thus I agreed. He and I grabbed the few things from the room, which wasn't much. His weapons and small things that were in my pocket. I was surprised the cops didn't mind me having those things when I got patted down and thrown into the vehicle. 
        When we had gathered our things, he frowned at me. "What?" I asked, looking down at myself to see what was wrong. He didn't reply, but did take off his hoodie. I was confused until he handed it too me.
        "It'll p-probably get colder. Here," he held it out for me and I took it hesitantly. I put it on and felt the warmth in it.
        "Hey, then you'll get wet and cold," I told Toby but he shrugged it off.
        We headed out and started walking under trees. As we walked, Toby pulled the hood on top of my head. I didn't question it but embraced it.
        He smirked as I felt little beside him. I glanced at him and kept  studying him. I already knew before that I knew I had something for him, I was falling for him. But this, it made me just want to tackle hug him. His dark eyes always gleamed and, somewhat, calm demeanor or the way he smiled. It was a nice feature to him. Such nice features for a murderer.
        I was in such a whirl of feelings. But as distasteful I can be, I liked Toby more than any other emotion in the Tornado of Feelings. And I think it was also the same way around with him. Or, at least I hope.
        "So, do we just keep going until we're safe from it?"
        Toby thought for a bit and nodded.
        "Where will that be?"
        "W-Where we're safe."
        "Thanks, Captain Obvious," I rolled my eyes as I glanced at him for the nth time. As I glanced, I felt a twitch go through my whole body. 
        "Heh, now you're th-the twitchy one!" He joked.
        "Maybe...," I whispered, "The hoodie makes you twitch." I smirked, noticing that he was smiling.

        I wish this moment would of lasted. I truly do. It was abrupt and out of nowhere and everything was black.