chapter three

● above is a snapshot of Sydney, Cooper's gorgeous pup, one day at the beach●

THE NEXT WEEK consisted of early morning shifts at the Shack, afternoons of painting strangers (which was so much more enjoyable than I had thought), awkward texts from my parents, and sideways glances from Noah when we would pass as we exchanged shifts. Despite messages from my mother that often read "Hope you're doing well," and "Penny says hello, you should call her sometime," my week was going pretty good. 

I'd pass by Cooper when I came home; although, he didn't know I was there of course. Or at least knew that it was me. One night, I found him trying to unlock his door and I was able to study him for awhile. He was so cute, I had concluded. His skin was just so sun kissed, a beautiful golden brown. His hair was so messy and so adorable. 

I was beginning to think I was developing a crush.

But I denied it right away, I only talked to the guy once. I didn't know his story and he didn't know mine. Not to mention he was blind, so that was a disadvantage. 

So when I worked tables, I tried to refrain myself from thinking about him. Instead I focused on getting my orders right, not spilling on anyone and putting on my best face to raise that money to pay my first bill. 

However, it was difficult to keep Cooper off my mind when he walked in and sat down at a table next to the window one afternoon. My racing heart slowed down when I saw one of my coworkers, Amanda, waltz up to his table to take his order. I was glad the responsibility wasn't mine to wait his table. I continued with my other customers, serving up creamy shrimp alfredo, steak and potatoes, etc.

I bursted through the double doors to the kitchen, ready to grab a couple orders. I balanced a plate in each of my hands, then one on each of my forearms. I was pulling a balancing act, it was beginning to become natural after just a month of waitressing. I collected myself and began to take soft but quick steps. 

Amanda stopped me in my tracks, opening the doors before I could. "Hand me those, I'll take them," she chirped, holding out her hands for me to transfer the plates into her arms.

I furrowed my eyebrows in question and only gave her the two in my palms. "I could've taken them there myself, you know," I assured. "I'm starting to get the hang out it, plus they only go to the tables in front of the kitchen."

"I know," Amanda affirmed as she adjusted the dishes onto her own hands. "Table 14 has specifically requested you."

My brain rescanned the diagram I was given when I was in training three weeks ago that displayed every table on the main floor, I was in search of table fourteen. 

And to my dismay, it was indeed Cooper's table.

I softly groaned, I couldn't understand why I was so unwilling to go talk to him. He struck a chord in me that I wasn't used to hearing. 

"You know him or something?" Amanda inquired, taking the last two plates off my forearms and onto hers. I cleared my throat, "Um, barely. I've only talked to him once."

She cooed. "Somebody's got a admirer!"

I rolled my eyes and smiled sarcastically towards her. She giggled and span around and out the doors she went. I adjusted my bun and twirled pieces of hair down to my face, brushed down my apron and stood tall. 

What the heck was I doing? Cooper was blind and he wouldn't be able to notice my small efforts of trying to look good.

I grunted once more and strut onto the main floor towards Cooper's direction.