chapter four

● above is a picture of Sophia as she drove her Jeep to Palm Cove, captured by Addison and then posted to her snapchat story ●

ADDISON HAD GIVEN me her number and sent me text message bubbles every five minutes after I had left the apartment that night. While the four of us ate the food, which was halibut pasta with spinach which Noah whipped us up, she had been swiping through her photo gallery while leaning against my elbow. She showed her exciting life at university and told an extensive story about each of the photos. Addison had talked to me as if she was my best friend since middle school and I really liked that about her. She made me laugh and as my laughter escaped my throat, I caught Cooper's lips pulling upwards. However, Noah frowned.

Noah had something against me and I couldn't put my finger on it. I had done him no wrong, the paint splatter was a thing of the past. At least to me it was. But I tried my best to ignore his short comments to me and disapproving eyes. 

I couldn't come to a decision if I wanted to join in on the "adventure" Cooper had spoken of the night before. I wanted to spend some time on the beach, get some money and paint. Although, I didn't know what the adventure was going to be. 

Apparently, I was not the one who was making that choice because at 9am the next morning, there was a loud knock on my door and a singsongy voice that rang, "Sophia!"

I groaned as I set down my coffee mug on my kitchen table. I looked down at my outfit, gray sweatpants and a black tank top. I wasn't ready to go, maybe that would be an excuse that Addison and Cooper would accept. Nonetheless, I got up and answered the door.

In front of me, stood Addison with her wavy hair resting on her shoulders. Rose gold sunglasses sat atop her head and her face was fresh. She wore blue jean daisy dukes again with only a black bikini top to cover her tan torso. On her left arm hung a beach bag full of towels, sunscreen and snacks. Next to her was Noah, who had his arms crossed like a little kid who was dragged to the store with his mom. He wore a blue t shirt and white swim trunks. And finally to the left of Addison was Cooper. 

Cooper wore a pink tank top that complimented his skin and black swim trunks with some white flip flops. He was wearing sunglasses this time, black ones like you would typically think a blind person would wear. By his hip sat Sydney with a vest around her body that read "Don't Pet Me Without Asking."

Cooper and Addison smiled as I opened my door but Addison grimaced a little when she laid eyes on me. "That's not beach attire!"

I thumbed my sweats and bowed my head in embarrassment, "I wasn't sure where we were going and when we were going, I don't want to make you guys wait," I said, hopefully dropping the hint I didn't want to go.

"That's fine, we can wait," Addison sprung. "I'll help you pick your bikini." Before I could object she passed through my door with Cooper and Noah behind her. Noah avoided eye contact with me. 

I tried to say something but Noah beat me to it, "Wow. What a mess."

He was talking about my artsy apartment. It was still the same as it was before, white sheets and spilled paints and easels with paintings on them. I was embarrassed but also upset that Noah said something so rude. Painting was my life and he called it a mess.

Addison slapped her brother in the shoulder to which he winced and glared at her. "Is it bad?" Cooper asked, "I just smell paint." 

Addison shook her head, "Nope. Sophia wasn't kidding when she said she was an artist," her fingers ran across one of my finished works. It was a basic palm tree island in a purple sea with a pink sunset and lilac clouds. I had planned to sell it the next time I went out to the beach. "Sophie," she murmured, calling me a nickname. "These are beautiful."