chapter seven

● above is a photo of Sophia's and Addison's smoothies at the mall. ●

THE DAYS FLEW by and Addison headed back to university and my heart grew sad. During the six days I spent with her, we had grown close quickly. I never really had a best friend since sophomore year of high school and even then, she moved away. After that, it was just Rocky and I. And when he passed, I had to fend for myself.

So when Addison gave me a hug goodbye after getting a turkey sandwich to go at the Shack, my chest was heavy. She had taken me on an adventure every day after my shift. We went hiking through a beautiful lush forest and were dressed in our bikinis and I captured some good photos for my instagram. Addison took me surfing early in the morning where we would meet Noah (he had given me a very small apology but I had chosen to forgive and forget) and Cooper would show up on the sand with a cardboard tray full of our Starbucks orders. Sydney was always with him and stayed by his side on the shore.

Never once did Cooper step into the water. He always sat on a soft towel in the sand, his right hand petting Sydney with a soft smile on his face at all times. I wondered why he never let the ocean water touch his skin but then it occurred to me that maybe he avoided the water because of the memory of his sister getting sucked in by the waves.

I asked Addie to confirm my suspicion and she nodded, "He hasn't put one toe in the water ever since the funeral." I frowned in response. "I'm pretty sure he's developed a fear of it. Noah and I have never asked. But he can swim in a pool, so it's gotta be the ocean."

Her explanation wasn't surprising to me but seeing Cooper all alone on the sand while the three of us were out laughing in the sea made me want to help Cooper in some way. I didn't know how. He'd done a lot for me anyways, if he didn't come to get me while Addison was here I don't think I'd be so happy that I left home.

But the thought of home came back to haunt me the night after Addison left. I was just getting my mail after an eight hour shift and flipped through the many envelopes. Then a rather large one came about and the paper was thick in my hands. Written in metallic silver, the penmanship was all too familiar, "You're invited."

It was the invitation to my sister's wedding.

My jaw clenched as I ripped the top open with my nail and pulled out a white rectangular piece of paper, lined with gold designs that read, "You're invited to the joining of hands between Penny Rollins and Jonathan Howard at Ellis Beach, Carins on November 25th."

One part of me was relieved and delighted to receive the invitation, maybe my family actually wanted me to be there. Maybe Penny really wanted me to help her step into her gown and cry because she looked so beautiful. Maybe my parents would hug me wholeheartedly and be happy to see me. Maybe some of my extended family would ask me how I'm doing and genuinely listen to me.

But the other part of me knew better.

Maybe they just had Penny send this to me out of pity or because the burden that I am her sister so I have to be invited. While Penny got dressed, I would have to stand in the back of the room so I wouldn't ruin her day. My parents would look me up and down and say, "Glad you could make it," then continue on with Penny. My extended family wouldn't acknowledge me and only listen to my parents soft whispers about how their not-so-great and not-so-beautiful other daughter had sadly arrived.

With a huff, I stomped up the flight of stairs to my apartment, my mind racing with thoughts. It was November 20th, which means I had four days to decide whether or not to show up. I was angry when I realized how late I had received the invitation but then I realized how far I had lived from home. Maybe I was getting too worked up.