chapter twelve

above is a snap of Sophia sharing her banana cream popsicle with Sydney

ALL I COULD do, standing there in the middle of my family and lip locking with Cooper, was just close my eyes. Cooper's lips were warm and damp, and he kissed me hard. I didn't understand why he had decided to lean in and make my day, and make our audience's jaws drop. But I didn't care, the butterflies in my belly fluttered their wings rapidly, my cheeks became the color of a tomato and even though my body was freaking out, my heart felt soft and secure.

It felt so natural standing that close to him, feeling that much of his skin against mine, and it felt so familiar and safe.

He pulled away too quickly and gave me a smile, which I returned and I only wished he could see how bright it was. If I wasn't feeling nervously strong before, I definitely was now. As much as I wanted to follow Cooper back to the buffet table, I had other business to attend to.

I turned back to Jonathan, "What was it you needed?" He composed himself again, as he reacted totally opposite to mine and Cooper's smooch as my parents did. "Oh, Penny needs you."

My mom shook her head and faced Jonathan herself, "What is it she needs, Jon? Whatever it is, I surely can help." There she went again, pushing me aside like I was useless and incapable of good things. But I was, like that blind boy I just kissed or the things I created with a paintbrush.

God, how I wanted to prove her wrong.

Jonathan cleared his throat, "I apologize, Mrs. Rollins. But this is a job only Sophia can accomplish, considering she is Penny's maid of honor."

Next thing I knew I was standing in the bathroom on the beach near the venue which was surprisingly nicer than one would expect, watching Penny and her friends frantically fix my sister's hair. As I stood in the corner, I didn't know how to deal with the wave of emotion Jonathan just laid on me.

Why the hell was I her maid of honor? I was no one special.

Suddenly, my sister and I made eye contact in the mirror and her face lit up. "Sophie!" She squealed before spinning around and bringing me in for a long embrace. I held her just as tightly, not realizing how much I had actually missed my sister. Penny never acted like my parents had, treating me like I was always less and shaking their heads at anything I presented to them which I was proud of. In fact, she was the exact opposite. Penny would talk to me like a sister would, encouragingly and also annoyingly at times. She didn't think she was any better than me, I was her little sister. She made it clear she wanted the best for me, she always awed and complimented the paintings I would be working on during the afternoons she'd come home. She'd always tell me, "These are amazing, Soph. I don't understand why you don't showcase them or something."

Penny also didn't understand that she was the favorite, at least from what I could tell. She probably didn't notice the amount of applause she received from our parents but I didn't know how to blame her. Penny was just doing what she did best, being a student and just a good person. I was envious of that, I never had gotten an A in my life and things got to me easily.

"I am so glad to see you, Soph," Penny spoke, pulling away. "I was afraid you didn't get my text message seeing that you never responded."

Penny was looking as beautiful as ever, she always did. Her make up was natural, dewy and soft with light red lipstick. Her light blonde hair was pulled back into a half up half down hair style, gleaming hair pins holding her hair rose bun in place. But to my surprise, her dress was short. Laced long sleeves ran down her arm and sheer lace covered her collar bones. The skirt was flouncy and reached up to her knees.