The letter

Sherlock sat fuming in his own den. How could his parents deny him the permission for town library access? Other kids asked for expensive bikes and all he was asking for was a library card. All the books at his own house were already read and no house in their suburban neighborhood had any better book than a telephone directory. 

He thought at least his mother would understand. She too, was an extraordinary genius person. She had written books on Maths, the subject he liked the most and the other kids in his school hated.

Maths was good. It was rational. It had rules and it always went by rules. Hence, it was simple. He once said that to his mother and she had laughed at him! She had laughed! "Wait till you get to college and learn about theoretical physics", she had ruffled his hair. "You're only ten now."

Well now he was 11. And it was the summer vacation. And his parents had denied him the library card! "Play with your friends, Sherly. I don't want you to be holed up in the town library as you very well would. You need to get along with other people. You might need that in future," his dad said. Whatever that means.

But unsurprisingly, his brother, Mycroft got it all. Oh how Sherlock was jealous. Mycroft was just a few years older than him and still they had allowed him to skip grades. Theirs was a family of prodigies. They were a little different than their neighbours who could not go a weekend without a tea or barbecue invitation. But nooo... Sherlock was the one who had to 'get along with other people'.

Sherlock wondered if he should prepare an essay as to why he should be given at least the library access. He grabbed his notebook when suddenly a loud tapping noise came on the window.

He did a double take as he spotted a large tawny owl pecking at his window. The only owls he had seen in his area were the small barn owls. And they too only came out at night. Where did this one came from?

He tried to shoo the owl away but it kept pecking. Then at once he saw something, a letter rolled at it's feet. Oh god, was it for real? Was it really a message delivering owl? Then what was it doing here? Sherlock opened the window and the owl hopped in. It was obvious now that it was a message owl. It seemed well trained.

He cautiously pulled the letter away from it's feet. The owl stared at him for a moment and then it flew away. Sherlock was still a little dazed. But then he came to his senses and bounded downstairs.

"Mother! You would not believe what happened!" He exclaimed to his mother who was baking something in the kitchen.

"What dear?"

"I took a letter from an owl!"

His mother dropped the batter mix bowl from her hands.

But Sherlock was busy looking at the strange letter. It was heavy and the envelope paper was rough and yellow. It had a weird stamp on it. Like a shield with a lion, a snake, an eagle and a badger emblamed.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," he read aloud and trailed at the end.

"Ugh, is this one of Tommy's pranks," Sherlock said exasperated. Tommy was the neighbor's kid who usually bullied him. "Gotta say, it's elaborate. I have to give him credit. I wonder how he managed the owl though..." Sherlock talked away but his mother looked shocked. And a little teary eyed.

Sherlock noticed her. "Mom?"

"Oh I can't believe this. It's actually happening! You're going to Hogwarts!"

...

A/N

This is not set in 2017. It's rather old. I haven't yet decided if I want the Marauders in this. If you do, please tell me so. But I'm looking forward to have this without any canon characters. Except the teachers of course... 

fyi, the chapters next would be longer.