The Late Night Stroll

As they finished stacking newspaper, John remembered that he had to take his medicine that wasn't done brewing when he left the hospital wing. It was late in the night but John was sure that Madam Pomfrey would've kept the potion outside for him. So he dragged Sherlock there.

On the way John found that Sherlock was still stuck on the Missing children case. He kept on talking about it, much to his and the passing portraits' dismay. But there was a silver lining as Sherlock didn't exactly need him to reply.

"... I still can't decide what the motive maybe. The abductor hasn't asked for any ransom. And if they were dead-" John flinched. "-so large a number of bodies would be difficult to hide. They must be alive. They aren't out of the country as the Ministry is closely surveying ports. But no magic is being conducted in their vicinity as they're all underage and none of the trace had become active. 

Plus the measures the abductor has taken to pacify their parents. It's definitely some sort of foreign magic. But it isn't done tight as one simple inquiry about their child had undone it. So the abductor isn't planning long term. So far I can conclude that he abductor wanted the matter to easily come to public light but not quite soon. An-"

"Shh," John suddenly pulled him back. They had reached the infirmary. The lights inside were out. Only the candles in corridor flickered and half illuminated the room. Sherlock was about to question when he saw what John was looking at.

There was a hooded figure in the infirmary. It was quite tall and draped in coarse brown shawl. Sherlock thought the shawl was familiar when it slipped a little and something bright and flaming flashed. It disappeared instantly as the figure corrected the shawl. It was a human, that much Sherlock was sure. But in the dark, it's stealthy movement looked menacing; the reason John and Sherlock hadn't approached it yet.

Sherlock looked down at John, to see if he was scared. But he was a Gryffindor after all. His mouth was set in a hard line and one hand was on his wand. 

The figure went to the farthest corner of the infirmary where a large cupboard contained all of Madam Pomfrey's ingredients. Sherlock realised they were in plain sight if the figure turned and slipped inside the room. John followed him, seeing the logic and they both crouched behind a nearby bed. 

The figured pulled their wand out and quietly opened the cupboard's door. Then a source of light appeared at its wand's end. It was searching for something.

Sherlock and John were stock still, not moving a muscle. Few moments passed which seemed like hours. The figure finally turned back, closing the wardrobe. It hurried back to the door and vanished around the corner outside, not realising that all its actions were witnessed by two students.

Sherlock stood up. He looked grim.

John too stood up, looking at Sherlock, wondering if he could make much sense of what happened. But he saw that he was in no mood to talk. He looked around to find the bottle of his potion left on a nearby table. 'For Mr. John Watson' it said. John thanked Madam Pomfrey and gently touched Sherlock's arm.

"What just happened?"

Sherlock looked at him in wonder, "You didn't see?"

John snapped, feeling Sherlock was condescending him. "No Sherlock, I didn't. My eyes were screwed shut as I saw that mysterious hooded figure go by."

Sherlock twisted his mouth in suppressed smile. But it vanished soon.

"It was Professor Sudol. I recognised her shawl, and her red hair that flashed for a moment when her shawl slipped."

"Professor Sudol? What was she doing here?"

"Clearly to take something she didn't want anybody else to see. And it looked a lot like..."

Sherlock rushed to the cupboard. He pulled out his wand and whispered, 'Alohomora'.

The cupboard door opened with a click and Sherlock took a look. Helpfully John bought a candle from nearby as they didn't know what was the spell for light yet. John held the candle uncertainly but Sherlock knew what he was looking for.

He smiled.

"She took the Peeves's sticks."

...

It was quite late and they thought they heard somebody outside. Mr. Flich's cat, Mrs Norris was a terrifying creature. So they ran for their lives. They both parted ways at the corridor from where Gryffindor and Ravenclaw dormitories went seperate ways.

Once again, Sherlock bitterly thought he should've been in Gryffindor. He answered the pesky doorknob's question and hurried inside. 

Ravenclaws were quite a scholarly lot and they often tended to stay up late at night. But fortunately that night only one person was sitting in far corner, their head engrossed in the book.

Unfortunately, it was Sally Donovan. She looked up at the panting Sherlock.

"Where were you? The other two students returned an hour ago", she asked.

"Keeping tabs on us, are we?" Sherlock averted her question. Sally slid her book aside and walked up to him, blocking him from climbing boys' dormitory.

"Don't tell me... You were with John?"

"And you care, because?" Sherlock asked with a raised brow. Sally growled.

"I have half a mind to tell Prof. Flitwick that you were out so late in the night, Holmes. You better watch that tone with me," she whispered. She glared at him for a moment more and then turned back to her book.

Sherlock should've shut up then. But he wasn't so wise. 

"What is your problem with me, Donovan? Are you jealous because a muggleborn is smarter than you?"

"THAT'S IT, HOLMES!!" she growled and turned to pull out her wand from her robe. Sherlock was already armed with his own.

But they were saved when two ravenclaw girls came downstairs arguing.

"-You're absolutely wrong. So wrong that I can't even.."

"I'm telling you Melissa, the War of Brain happened 230 B.C not 230 A.D. You'll see, just wait."

Seeing them, both Sherlock and Sally hid their wands. The girls came to halt when they saw them.

"What are you two doing up so late?" one of them asked. Sally threw a caustic glance at him and ran up to her room without any answer.

Sherlock gave them some reply and he too retired to his room. He had a feeling that Sally was going to get back at him for that.