The Quidditch

"So... What did the headmaster want?" John asked eagerly. Sherlock did a double take.

"How'd you get in here?" Sherlock asked, looking at his friend who grinned in stupid pride. He was lounging on Sherlock's bed in Ravenclaw dormitory.

"What mate? You think you're the only one smart there?" John said cheekily. "Nice place," he looked around at his messy room filled with various books, notes and parchments. He also had a gas stove burning in a corner; some concoction bubbling away in a silver cauldron.

"Uh, yeah. How did you get in here?" Sherlock asked again.

John shrugged. "The door knob asked me what's the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite?"

Sherlock frowned. "That's an odd question. And you answered?"

"Of course. Stalagmite has a letter m in it. And it opened," John looked downright smug. Sherlock shook his head, realising that he was just pulling his leg. Some ravenclaw might've let him through. But he let John have his moment of happiness and flopped down on a chair.

"Dumbledore wanted talk to me about the missing kids," Sherlock said, referring to John's original question. "He came to know through Mrs Kients about my mother's and respectively of my involvement in this matter. Hence he wanted to know the matter from my own mouth."

"That's so cool," John exclaimed.

"Children have been abducted, John," Sherlock admonished.

"Yes," John conceded, looking shameful. "But it's not like we can do anything about it."
...

Despite the tragedy, excitement was thick in the air as the Quidditch match neared. A rumor spread that the seeker of Hollyhead Harpies, an all girl's international team was coming to the first game, as a guest.

And the rumor was confirmed at the lunch by Prof Dumbledore a day before the match.

Every Quidditch enthusiast, even if they didn't support Hollyhead Harpies, was excited at the notion. The seeker, Rowe Desgar was an alumni of Hogwarts. She was thrilled to come back to her school as was reported in Daily Prophet.

"Is this the guest of Prof Sudol?" Greg asked Sherlock after they left for their herbology class.

Sherlock shrugged. "I looked at prof Sudol when Dumbledore made the announcement. She looked excited. But I can't tell."

The next day, Sherlock woke up late on purpose, hoping John and Greg would leave him behind to get better seats. And then he could stay inside and lie that he had attended. He had whole plan ready.

But as he descended into the sparsely crowded great hall, he saw Greg, John, and to his wonder, Sally as well standing, looking intently at the entrance. As they spotted him, John rushed forward.

"You took your sweet time getting ready, sleeping beauty... Two minutes more and we would've left you here," John said as he dragged him outside.

Sherlock did an internal facepalm and allowed himself to be dragged all the way to the Quidditch ground.

The grounds were similar to a football ground. Except at the both ends, three huge bubble blowing metal rings stood as the goals. The stadium was already almost full. The match hadn't started yet. Madam hooch was tossing the coin as they climbed the stairs. At the end they found a few seats empty.

The match was between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff won the toss and before they could claim the quaffle and shoot in the air, both teams turned towards the box where all the teachers sat and saluted.