The Incident

Sherlock woke up with a start, forgetting where he was for a second. That won't do, he admonished himself. Suddenly, the door to his dormitory flung open.

Tony Blewitt, a second year Ravenclaw he was on good terms with rushed in.

"Did you know what just happened?" he panted, with a flushed face.

"What?" Sherlock got off the bed. 'Did somebody kick Mrs. Norris? She deserves it."

"Not that! Somebody attacked Hollyhead Harpies Seeker!" he said and rushed off, probably to spread the news.

Sherlock looked in astonishment. As he came down, snippet by snippet, he got the whole story. More or less.

Rowe Desgar, the seeker had stayed in the Hogwarts for a day more, to give some lessons on flying, on request of Madam Hooch.

It was early this morning she met with an accident, which was looking more and more like an attack. People seemed to repent their missed lesson with her than the actual injury.

"But what attacked her?" Sherlock asked his fellow housemates as they made way for the great hall.

Tony shrugged, "We don't know. But she has a head injury. Hit in the head with some heavy object."

"Of all the magical injuries..." Sherlock commented and left in the midway as he saw Greg and John rushing to him.

"Did you hear? Did you hear? Rowe Desgar got hit in he head from the sticks Peeves used on Prof. Sudol!" John exclaimed, barely containing himself.

Sherlock took a double take, but controlled before anybody else saw that.

"Isn't Peeve a bit of a menace?" he remarked smoothly and they all went in for breakfast.

Sherlock didn't get chance to speak with John in the rest of the day, between classes. But he talked to the rest of the kids, finding updates on Rowe situation.

Madam Pomfrey, in whose charge the sticks were, was absolutely befuddled as to how the sticks escaped. Peeves denied to take any responsibility and he had the alibi too. He was chasing Fat Friar around and Fat Friar gave witness to that. Rowe herself was unconscious and everybody was worried because they had seen what the sticks had done to Prof. Sudol and Rowe had an important training session coming up. 

In the evening, when finally Sherlock caught up with John, they exchanged what information they had gathered.

John hadn't so much. He hadn't gotten out of his way to get the gossip as Sherlock had. Sherlock was dismayed but still he told everything he knew to John. Then he asked,

"We should tell somebody what we saw last night, don't you think?"

John wasn't quite supportive. He thought Sherlock was meddling unnecessary and they'll get in trouble for being out so late instead.

But Sherlock was determined. He decided to go Prof Dumbledore to tell. 

Dumbledore's office was a weird one. He approached the Griffin statue which protected the office. It asked for the password. Sherlock was stumped. But fortunately or unfortunately Prof Sudol came there.

"Hullo Holmes, what are you doing here?" she asked.

Sherlock noticed that she looked quite pale, paler than she already was. Her gloved hands were fidgeting and the gloves were mismatched. She must've come here in hurry, he deduced.

"I wanted to meet Prof. Dumbledore," Sherlock said, trying not to betray any emotion.

"You might not know the password. It's Lemon Drop," Sudol said. And as she said it, the Griffin turned, revealing a staircase.

They both went up. Prof Sudol talked cheerily to him. But there was a nervous edge to her voice. Sherlock wondered had she really to do anything with the incident. They had seen her stealing the sticks from hospital last night and come morning, Rowe Desgar was injured with the same sticks. But it was weird. What grudge could she possibly have against a Quidditch player?

They came in the headmaster's office. It was a queer place, full of magical items that hissed and moved. Prof Sudol asked him kindly if he minded waiting as she went and talked to the headmaster. 

"After all, you came first," she said.

"No problem, Professor," Sherlock replied with the same curtsy. "I can wait."

She smiled nervously and hurried inside. 

Sherlock waited outside, thinking. Other than the fishy activity last night, Prof Sudol's behavior the whole time since the beginning had been more or less without fault. She was a nice teacher with considerable knowledge. Even though she hadn't been present much due to her head injury. 

But that injury had to be considered too. It was a good weapon, if Professor wanted one. She had been already hit with it, she knew it's effects. And even if Rowe and Prof. Sudol had any fight between them, nobody would expect a DADA teacher to use some sticks against her enemy. She obviously would have better means.

While Sherlock was thinking so, Prof. Sudol came outside. Some of the color was back in her face. While leaving, she smiled again at Sherlock, this time quite warmly.

Sherlock smiled back and timidly went inside. He was brave. But Prof. Albus Dumbledore was an intimidating person, despite his friendly, twinkling blue eyes.

Prof Dumbldore was looking out of his office window that overlooked the lake. He glanced at Sherlock as he came in.

"Mr. Holmes, I'm surprised to see you here," he greeted, coming back to his desk from the window.

"Prof. Dumbledore, I have to tell you something," Sherlock went straight to the point. He told everything. But he took care not to paint him and John as snoopers but mere unfortunate witnesses.

Professor Dumbledore gazed at him steadfastly during the entire talk. But Sherlock didn't waver. Finally when he was done, Professor merely said,

"Have a seat, Mr. Holmes."

Sherlock was slightly irritated but he did as told.

"I have heard that you are an exceptionally talented person, Mr. Holmes, with a knack for observations and deductions," Dumbledore spoke.

Sherlock was pleased, to say the least. To be praised such by the headmaster who is deemed the greatest wizard. But he kept his appearance cool.

"I believe I can observe, Professor. But as for deductions, I'm afraid, my knowledge isn't quite adequate yet. I'm only 11, you see," he said honestly and Dumbledore smiled.

"Still Sherlock," he said. "What would you deduce if the person suspected of a crime comes and confesses getting the weaponry for crime but not the actual deed."

Sherlock frowned, but he understood in a flash what Dumbledore meant.

"You mean Prof. Sudol just told you that she stole the sticks last night?" he asked.

"Yes Sherlock. She came here to tell me that she was guilty of taking the sticks from the hospital wing, although I believe she didn't think she had any witnesses," Dumbledore said.

"So she had not much of a reason to confess," Sherlock spoke, much to himself.

"Yet, she did. She also makes clear that she had seen Rowe for the first time yesterday at the match, which I believe she was telling the truth," Dumbledore provided and sat waiting for his reply.

"Curiouser and curiouser," Sherlock quoted, deep in thought.

"Do you mind if I ask a question, Prof. Dumbledore?" he asked.

"I don't mind the questions, Sherlock. But I cannot promise that I will answer," Dumbledore said.

"Do you believe that she did harm Rowe Desgar?"

Prof. Dumbledore smiled. "We don't have any evidence that she did. And it's better not to be biased, Holmes. But let me tell you something. There are always many different possibilities. But when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."