The Break In

"Are you crazy?" John screeched.

Sherlock instantly regretted telling him the plan.

"How- When- what- why?" John fumbled, trying to form his incredulous state of mind into words.

"Look, you don't have to come. But I trust you not to tell anyone else. Please," Sherlock pleaded.

"Hell no!" John shook his head. "If you're going to do something stupid, I'm coming with you."

Sherlock allowed a rare smile and told him the plan.

"Alright. Prof. Sudol isn't at Hogwarts tonight. I'm going in her room and you will stand outside, alerting if anybody comes nearby. Nobody should. But you never know."

"Do you even know where the teacher stays? Heck, I don't know where any teacher ever stays," John exclaimed, a little calm. He looked around to see if anybody was in the hearing range. Nobody gave off any indication they were. Sherlock had come to the Gryffindor Common room and they were talking in a corner. Nobody even seemed to mind that a Ravenclaw student was in Gryffindor Common room.

"It's quite obvious. There's a room above our Defence Againts Dark Arts class room. That's where she stays. It's easy to break into. Our only worry is getting to and fro without getting noticed."

"Too bad they didn't teach us any invisibility spells," John said.

Suddenly there was a commotion in the common room.

There were two third years fighting.

"Generations of my family have been in Gryffindor, Paxton. Bravery is my middle name," the brunet one snapped at the dark haired one.

"Just because you did one measly dare, doesn't mean you're suddenly Godric Gryffindor!"

"Then give me a dare, any dare. I'll prove it!"

Sherlock was listening disinterestedly when an idea flashed in his head.

"I have a dare for you," he suddenly spoke up. Every head turned to him.

"What's a Ravenclaw doing here?" one of them asked.

"To give you a good dare. But I don't think you can do it," Sherlock shrugged.

"Ha!" the brunet laughed derisively. "Try me."

"Then lock Mrs. Norris up till three in the morning," Sherlock said calmly. Gasps wenta round the room. The brunet looked uneasy while the dark haired one, Paxton looked victorious. But seeing that look, the brunet geared himself up.

"No big deal, I'll do it," he said bravely.

Sherlock didn't stay there for any longer. He went back to his dormitory, promising John to meet at midnight at the corridor from where Ravenclaw and Gryffindor towers separate.

...

The brunet actually did it. John told him he did when they met at midnight. It was relatively easy for Sherlock to sneak out. By now he had known many short cuts and hiding places at least from Ravenclaw tower to the Great Hall. The castle itself was so big that it would take at least five years more for Sherlock to discover almost all the secrets.

John too bragged about how well he sneaked past Nearly Headless Nick's ghost.

"Well, at least with Mrs. Norris gone, there's one less thing to worry about," Sherlock remarked and they went off.

They turned around a corner when suddenly, they came across Mary, the only student from Slytherin.

They both stopped instantly, holding their breaths in. They hoped she would pass by without noticing them. Sherlock wondered what was she doing out here so late at night. She had a white cloth bundle in her hand.