~Bittersweet~

AN: HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY (even though I'm a month late!)!!!!!! This special story is a narrative I wrote for my English class and focuses mostly on Jason, but features the other Robins. Enjoy!

~Chapter 15: Bittersweet~

He ran through the neighborhood he grew up in, never daring to look back. It was well into the night, the only ones awake were himself and his pursuers.

They're coming, I have nowhere to go! He thought looking frantically around for means of escape. Think Jason! What would Mom and Dad do? An idea popped into his head and he went into action, climbing up onto one of the houses and blending with the black roof.

Jason held his breath as he watched the group of men below look around to find where he went. After some time they gave up on their hunt and retreated to their homes. Sighing, Jason slid off the roof to the ground and sat against the wall.

That was close, he thought looking into the dark sky. Thanks for the quick thinking Mom and Dad. His bittersweet smile remained as he stood up, collected himself, and continued running on into the night.

~

That was a little over 9 years ago. Jason had grown from then. His baby green eyes had become a deep hazel. He had grown twice as tall, and his black hair laid shagged against his forehead from the sweat of that day's work. Jason's pale skin had not been tanned from the sun's rays beating down on him. Jason had incredible stamina, as he was able to run for extremely long periods of time.

Running had become a part of him over the years. He had to do it almost everyday. He had to become mature at an early age, forced to be an adult.

That was one of the sad things, wasn't it? He didn't even know his birthday and therefore couldn't have his exact age. All he knew was that he was around nineteen, since they moved kids ten and up into the viewing room of the court. They were after him, silent and stealthy.

There has been no escape that he has found. All that could be done was to run in endless circles till he grew tired and they attacked. But he would never let that happened, over his dead body. It wouldn't matter anyway. If they ever found him, he was as good as a sitting duck. They would take him, slaughter him, and no one would suspect a thing.

He picked up a worn cloth and wiped his face. The sun was slowing setting in the sky and Jason knew he would have to hurry his normal routine if he wished for a wink of sleep.

He collected the food scraps he got throughout the day and packed it into his duffel bag. Snuggling up to the thin sheet acting as a blanket, Jason laid his head on the ground and drifted to sleep.

~

He opened his eyes and sat up to be greeted with field that seemed to never end. There laughing in the distance was his parents. He stood up slowly, staring in disbelief. This isn't real! he yelled in his mind to himself, but it didn't matter.

Even if it was only for a split second, he would cherish it. For this was all he had left of his parents, a memory of their appearance. He ran towards them, tears flowing down his face like a river. He didn't dare blink.

The artificial parents didn't react to him running, if anything they turned away. His heart clenched in his chest as if someone put their hand in his chest and grabbed it. Jason slowed down as he approached them. His hand was raised reluctantly, ready to touch his dad's shoulder.

Time had gone in slow motion until his hand met solid. Or so he thought. Right before his hand could make contact, both bodies vanished. The sky began to darken and he was pulled away by thousands of hands.