Continue Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

The girls followed Mrs. Sarber silently.  The office was a large pleasant room.  A long and deep counter was the first thing the girls saw upon entering.  A floor to ceiling window on the far wall gave the viewer a look at he tennis courts.  Four beige chairs sat in a cozy cluster around a coffee table to the left of the office door.

     A floral centerpiece sat in the center of the table, and two end tables sat in between two of the four chairs.  An elaborate grandfather clock sat behind the furniture grouping.  on the right side of the door was a small but ornate fireplace.  Three desks sat behind the counter laden with computers, photos, and a desk phone for each.

     An attractive lady sat at the middle desk.  The other two were empty at the moment.  The lady stood and walked sedately toward the counter, a smile upon her face.  Her hair was dark brown, styled in an elegant twist at the back of her neck.  She had warm brown eyes and a pretty peach colored complexion.

     She was dressed in a neat navy blue suit, with a while silk blouse underneath.  "Miss Leighton, Ma'am, This is Annie Adams and Beth Crosswell.  Both girls greeted their headmistress with a cheery "Hello" and a smile.  "I'm happy to meet you."  Miss Leighton said in a pleasant soprano voice.

     "Happy to meet you too."  Annie and Beth chimed.  Mrs. Sarber chuckled.  Miss Leighton took two folders from behind the counter.  Annie thought there must be cubby holes built into the counter.  Miss Leighton opened both of the folders, and scanned them quickly.  "I see that both of you have relatives that were once students here."

     Both girls nodded.  "Well, that's fine.  I hope you both will enjoy your time here...."  Annie and Beth nodded again, not sure what to say...."Mrs. Sarber will give you a tour of the school, and show you to your dorms.  There is a folder for each of you in your dorm room.  It contains information on your class schedules and other things you need to know."

     "Orientation is Tuesday morning at ten thirty in the auditorium.  That information is in your folder also.  Annie hoped that she and Beth were in the same dorm room.  "I'll see you both at dinner....she said, glancing at the clock on the wall...."In four hours or so.  We always eat at six."  She ended, smiling at the girls again.

      Then she nodded at Mrs. Sarber, signaling that the three of them were dismissed.  Annie and Beth waved at her and followed Mrs. Sarber out of the office.  She led them down the hallway in front of the staircase, pointing out the auditorium and gymnasium as they went;  Classrooms were interspaced between.  Classrooms also lined the opposite wall.

     At the end of the hall, Mrs. Sarber made an about face and took them up the other direction, where the ballet studio and the cafeteria were located; classrooms lined this end of the hallway too.  They proceeded through the archway under the staircase to the left down the hall, where first, she showed the girls the common room.

     Two comfortable sofas and two equally comfortable chairs sat in a grouping in the large room.  At the far end stood a huge fireplace, where four large floor cushions were set around it.  A long table with a dozen chairs sat aside the entrance to the room.  "You have your study halls in this room.  And of course it's used to relax and socialize after your classes are ended each day; and on weekends of course."  Mrs. Sarber told them.  Then she walked to the archway and the girls followed. Both girls were impressed with the common room.  "I think we'll be spending a lot of our free time here."  Annie said.  Beth nodded in agreement with her.

     "The vending machines outside this door and elsewhere in the school, can be used in your free time.  No food or drinks are allowed anytime in the classroom.  But you can take snacks and or drinks to study hall with you.  On down that way and just around the corner,...."  she said, pointing to the right of the archway is the library.  I'm on a tight schedule today, but I hope you will check it out soon.  It's quite a place."

     Annie loved books.   So she promised herself she would make a visit to see it very soon.  "Well, that's about it for this floor.  I'll take you to your dorm rooms now."  Annie was silently praying that Beth and she would share a room as they all walked up the staircase.  "I don't know why we need both staircases...."  Mrs. Sarber said, shaking her head...."They both go to the same places."  Annie and Beth grinned at each other behind her back.

     "The second and third floors are lodging for grades seven through eleventh, and the top floor is for our seniors...."  Mrs. Sarber said, coming to a stop half way down the hall.  "This is it."  She said, opening a door with a key.  "Wow!"  This is nice!  Annie said, looking around.  "I'll say."  Beth agreed.

     "Whose room is this?"  Annie asked, suddenly anxious.  "Both of you."  Mrs. Sarber said with a huge grin.  Both girls hugged each other, squealing with delight.  Mrs. Sarber laughed with them.  Annie tossed her bag pack on one of the beds.  "Well, I guess you've picked yours."  Beth said, with a giggle in her voice.

     "I guess I have."  Annie admitted.  The room held two twin beds, separated by a small table and lamp;  a dresser sat on the wall opposite each one.  Next to each dresser, was a closet.  And a trunk sat on the end of each bed.  There were two windows in the room; one faced the front of the school and the other was a side window facing the woods beyond.

     The room had a bathroom tucked into one corner.  Beth walked over and opened the door.  "This is cute."  She said, gesturing for Annie to come see.  Annie hurried over to take a look.  "Oh, good.  It has a bath tub and shower."  "Girls!  Your info envelopes are on your stand there, and your uniforms are in your closet."  Annie went to look in her closet.

     "These are cool!"  She said, looking appreciatively at the checkered skirt, white blouse and navy blue jacket with the Ridgemont logo on it.  "They are."  Beth agreed.  "I'm glad you girls like them.  Not everyone here does.  Now, about the uniforms, and the rest of your clothes; you each have a laundry basket...."  she pointed to two containers standing  by the door.

     "Laundry is picked up every Wednesday.  You each have two uniforms, and they must always be clean.  So don't forget to change it out every Wednesday...."  Both girls nodded...." Each of you have a key in your envelope.  Please put it on chain so you don't lose it.  And I guess that's all for now."  Mrs. Sarber said, heading slowly to the door.

     "Mrs. Sarber!".... Annie called ...."Can I show you something?"  she asked, already digging in her bag pack.  "Sure."  Mrs. Sarber said, heading back to Annie's bed, where Beth and Annie were already seated.  "What is it?"  Mrs. Sarber asked, a curious look on her face.  Annie pulled out the photograph of her mom's class.

     All three of them gazed at it.  "That's my Mom. "Annie said proudly.  Mrs. Sarber smiled, recalling former bright days.  "You look very much like her."  Mrs. Sarber said.  "I know."  Annie replied with a grin.  "Do you know what Annie's mom is holding in her hand?"  Beth asked.  Annie had shown her the photo on the plane, and now she was dying to know what it was.

     "That Scam!  I told Sara, your mother, not to bring that....sign with her; to leave it in her room."  She said chuckling.  "Do you know what it says?"  Annie asked eagerly.  "I sure do.  It says, "The Mystery Club Detectives!"