Annie Adams and the Mystery Club Detectives

"And I agree with you.  Collin and his buddies couldn't have anything to do with the theft."  Beth ended with a yawn.  "We'll talk about it tomorrow with Trisha and Katie."  Annie said with a yawn of her own.  Talking with Beth had made Annie feel a bit better.   But before she fell asleep, Annie prayed for God to make everything alright.

     The next day, Annie, Beth, Trisha and Katie met at lunch to discuss the events of the day before, while chowing down on their mac n' cheese and sloppy Joe sandwiches.  "I wonder how long it will take to get those fingerprints off of that pen."  Katie ask of anyone.  "I hope it's soon."  Annie said in an anxious voice.

     Beth just nodded in agreement since her mouth was too full of sloppy Joe to speak.  "I hope so too."  Trisha said, wiping her mouth on a napkin.  Annie's cell rang out it's tune of "My Old Kentucky Home" at that minute, and her friends giggled.  "You definitely march to a different drummer Annie."  Beth said, still giggling.

     Annie stuck her tongue out at her and answered her phone.  "Hey Collin."  Her friends stopped in their chewing and stared at Annie apprehensively. ....."So Sheriff Cooper's over there now?"  Annie said nervously. ...."I don't know know if I'm supposed to tell where we found it."  Beth, Trisha and Katie glanced warily at each other.

     ...."Just because, if Sheriff Cooper isn't telling anyone, I don't think I can."  Annie said regretfully.  ...."Of course I don't think you or the guys did it."  She said, almost in a whisper.  ...."Collin!  Please!"  Annie begged.  Then she pulled her cell from her ear and just stared at it in unbelief.  She looked about ready to cry.

     "Annie."  Beth said softly.  "What's wrong?"  Just then the bell rang to end lunch hour.  Annie immediately grabbed up her bag and tray.  "I'll talk to you guys in study hall."  She said in a rush and ran for the door.  Beth, Katie and Trisha gawked dumbfounded at Annie's retreating figure.

     It took a lot of silent praying while trying to do her book work in English, to keep Annie from breaking into heart wrenching sobs.  But she quickly got a hold of herself and silently said, 'Annie, you are acting completely ridiculous; to be so upset by what Collin said, is just stupid.  You've just met this guy.  It's not like you're going to marry him or something.  You're only 13.  Way too young to fall apart because some boy does not believe you."  She chuckled softly. 'All this over a boy.'

     After the little talk she had with herself, she raised her head, put a small smile on her face and jutted out her chin.  Her teacher, Miss Blum just happened to be looking her way.  "Did you have a question Annie?"  She asked politely.  Nearly everyone in the class stared at Annie.  "No Ma'am."  Annie said in a quiet voice while turning red in the face because of the staring students.  "Okay everyone, back to your work."  The teacher gave Annie a smile before walking back to her desk.  "All this nonsense over a boy."  She whispered so low that no one else could hear.  Annie chuckled softly and went back to her work.

     By the time study hall rolled around, Annie was her usual sunny self again.  Beth noticed.  "You seem to be a lot better now."  She said this in a hesitant voice, in case Annie was putting up a brave front.  "I am."  Annie said in a sure voice, taking her math book out of her bag.  "Can I ask what that phone call was about?"  Beth dared to ask.  Trisha and Katie gave her warning looks.

     But Annie smiled and said, "Sure.  Collin didn't understand why I couldn't tell him where the pen was found."  Her friends looked sorry for her, even though she seemed to be a lot upset than she had been.  Annie went on, "Someone told him that they overheard Sheriff Cooper telling headmaster Hartman about the pen that was found.  I guess you heard what I told him."  Her friends nodded in unison.

     "He was angry?"  Katie asked, even though she knew the answer already.  "Yep,"  Annie said opening her book.  "But you're not upset anymore?"  Trisha asked in surprise.  "Nope,"  Annie said, putting her pen to her homework.  "Well,..." she said with a half a smile. ...."Not anywhere close to what I was anyway."  She qualified.

     Beth, Katie and Trisha laughed and Annie joined in.  Suddenly, Annie's cell rang out it's tune.  She stared at Collin's name blinking on the screen.  "Maybe it's an apology."  Beth said softly.  Annie glanced at her then swiped across her screen.  "Hey," Annie said curtly. ...."I'm really sorry.  Can you forgive me?"  Collin immediately started in begging.  Annie gave her cell a smile.  And then asked Collin to hold on for a minute.  "Hey.  I'm going over there for a minute,"  she said, pointing to the door.  Her friends nodded, but didn't say a word.

     Annie took a seat at a small table by the door.  "Okay I'm back," she said to Collin.  And then she continued before he could say anything.  "Of course, I forgive you Collin.  But you need to know something.  I've thought about what happened.  And I have discovered that I wasn't just upset that I might lose you as a friend, I couldn't believe that you would think I would purposely hurt you or anyone else."

     "And as a rule I don't break a confidence about something someone told me.  No matter who, is doing the asking.  So if you can handle that, we can still be friends.  But I'm not dealing with a temper tantrum every time I say something you don't wanna hear."  There was deadly silence on Collin's end for several seconds, then...."I understand.  And I promise I'll try to never do it again.  And if I start, you can punch me in the mouth to stop me."

      Annie rolled with laughter.  "You have a deal."  Annie said after a few moments, while still giggling.  "Thank you for forgiving me Annie.  I was such a jerk."  "No, you're not.  You're just human.  I'll try to remember that."  Collin laughed this time.  "Thanks.  Are we still going to the Friday games together?"  "Sure,"  Annie said in a shy voice.  "Good.  Well, see ya later."  "See ya."  Annie said, putting her cell back in her pocket.

     "By the look on your face, you two made up."  Beth said as Annie sat down on her big pillow on the floor again.  "Yeah. we did."  Annie said, starting on her homework.  "You could've made him sweat a little longer."  Katie said with half a smile.  "I was tempted,"  Annie admitted.  But then in perfect southern belle style, she added, "But then I would've been denied his company."